Northwest small boat events summer 2015

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Northwest small boat events summer 2015

Postby talbot » Tue May 12, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm passing along a posting from my local boating list. The Coots are a loosely knit organization that leans toward traditional small craft. They spend as much time debating varnish as we do discussing epoxy. But their messabout schedule includes some interesting trips, including an event this weekend at my own lake (Fern Ridge). Next week's trip to Montague Harbor on Galiano Island visits the first of British Columbia's Marine Parks. In July they are going to Sucia Island, one of the classic destinations in the U.S./Canada cruising grounds between Vancouver Island and the mainland. The index page with links to trip details is at: http://www.coots.org/mb/index.html

MAY 15-17:FERN RIDGE LAKE SPRING SMALL BOAT MESSABOUT
MAY 15-17:BIG LAGOON MESSABOUT, HUMBOLDT COUNTY
MAY 22-24:MONTAGUE HARBOUR SMALL BOAT RENDEZVOUS, GALIANO IS., BC
JUN. 4:RACE TO ALASKA STARTS, PORT TOWNSEND
JUN. 19-21:COLUMBIA RIVER SUMMER SOLSTICE MESSABOUT, NEAR VANCOUVER
JUN. 20-21:SOLSTICE MESSABOUT TO HOPE ISLAND, SKAGIT BAY
JUL. 10-13:SUCIA ISLAND SMALL BOAT RENDEZVOUS
talbot

Re: Northwest small boat events summer 2015

Postby jeadstx » Tue May 12, 2015 5:20 pm

A few of the sailors that do those events I know from when they come down for the Tx200. One of them, Andy Linn will be doing the first leg of the Race to Alaska. If you should run into him say hello for me.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 am

I looked up some of the locations online. Interesting to note that not only does Washington State have more than one Hope Island, but both of them are state parks. The one they list is subject to very strong tidal currents; not something that would seem to be in easy reach of a small sailboat (unless one with a strong outboard). Would be nice to learn about events in other parts of the country.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Thu May 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Yes, I think of Deception Pass as a scary place, but the trip description makes it sound like the Traditional Small Boat Association has strategies to work with the currents. From the photos on their web site, I gather that their flotillas also include kayaks and rowing skiffs. Obviously, a hardy lot.

I'm not entirely sure our state-of-the-last-century craft, with the new-fangled aluminum masts, fiberglass hulls, and ropes that aren't even twisted, are welcome among all that varnished teak. On this forum, we've been discussing Amsteel halyards to reduce weight aloft. In the current issue of Small Boat Advisor, they are discussing the use of Sunbrella (a furniture covering) for making sails, because actual sail cloth doesn't look sufficiently authentic. We're talking serious tradition here. For my part, having learned to sail (and bail, and caulk, and scrape, and varnish, and paint) traditional boats as a kid, I feel I have paid my dues.

I will check out the local event this weekend and report back. As I said, that looks like a great list of trips on the Messabout list. They could be great adventures, if I can figure out how to strap on these cedar fence boards to camouflage my hull.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Yes, the traditionalists. But then there are the modern wooden boat types, with epoxied plywood. Their interest seems to be to bypass "production" boat in favor of creating boats themselves. Plywood can be used to create really economical boats or boats well fitted to a particular purpose, but foremost it's matched well to an individual building a boat while allowing any amount of customization.

The latter is the downside of the fiberglass boats, with their requirement for a mold. They are stuck in their niche of half-manual mass production.

That should not deter us from creating, locating, advertising or participating in the kind of events like the ones you listed (except of course those snobbishly limited by material of construction). The FL120, Tx200 etc need more "smaller cousins".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Back from my first NW Messabout. Several unique craft--owner-built kayaks, little power launches, a sprit-rigged dory. Lots of wood grain and traditional blocks, but also modern glass laminate that looks like varnish until you recognize the fiber in the resin.

I didn't have time to camouflage my boat with fence boards, and it turned out that everyone was very respectful of the Day Sailer, approving of the modifications I derived from this list (hatch, oarlocks, lazy jacks, etc.)

Andy Linn (Tx 200 veteran and organizer of similar events in the NW) did note that the DS does not sail well on its side. A reference to a famous capsize by jeadstx in Texas some years ago (look it up in the archive). He sends his greetings, and said the DS would be perfect for his annual Columbia River expedition. We'll see. The group ambience might be described as well-aged testosterone, and I'm not sure how long my estrogenous crew will tolerate discussions of plywood grades. Maybe we'll start with another weekend venue, where the apres-sailing experience can include chilled white wine and showers.
talbot

Postby jeadstx » Sun May 17, 2015 9:04 am

Andy is the one who helped me in 2012 right the boat. Glad you ran into him.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Events