images and albums

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

images and albums

Postby Tipster1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:00 am

After all these years, I still have problems uploading images, creating and organizing albums, and linking to posts. Occasionally I stumble onto the upload page. The only images I can see in previews of posts are thumbnails. Mostly it is trial and error.

Would someone please walk me though the steps as if I were brand new?
Tipster1

Re: images and albums

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:30 pm

I can only write what I do.

I use my favorite photo editing or resizing software to export a smaller jpg file for the photo I want to use.

I think 1200 pixels on the longer edge is a good size for album pictures in the gallery, attachments can be a bit larger.

They key is to also select "medium" level for quality or compression. That reduces the file size in bytes without making the picture smaller.

Thus prepared I follow the prompts for adding a picture to the gallery, to my personal album or for an attachment. For Gallery uploads I click on the word "Gallery" next to the little "eye" icon and go from there.

To insert an image from my gallery I click the "Gallery" button above the editor.

For the album, if you insert the picture into a post you'll get the thumbnail, but anybody who clicks on it will see the full picture.

To link a post, you need to copy the link from the address bar, for example or from the little icon next to the post, using your browser's method of copying links. You can place the link raw into your post, or click the URL button first, and then put the link between the start and end URL tag in the editor. If it's an external image, use the IMG tag the same way with a link to an external image.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks. I usually resize using email trick. In past I had been able to create an album to which I might reference in a post. I just can't figure out how I did this.
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:05 pm

I don't think you can create multiple albums. There's a list of personal albums, and everybody gets one (empty at first). Under "Gallery" next to the "eye" icon top right of the page. Look for "your personal album".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:54 pm

GreenLake wrote:I don't think you can create multiple albums. There's a list of personal albums, and everybody gets one (empty at first). Under "Gallery" next to the "eye" icon top right of the page. Look for "your personal album".

Hmm. I did it before. There are several sub albums within my main album. Now I don't now how I did it.
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Indeed you did.

You probably used User Control Panel and clicked on "Manage Personal Albums"
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:49 am

AH HAH! Thank you!! Now I can edit some of them - rainy day project.
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:52 am

And as a reminder for anyone else reading this, album images must fit into 1280 x 1024 pixel dimensions for now (and there's a separate limit in the number of bytes as well, hence the need to compress or use "medium quality"). But the mailing to yourself trick usually works.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:48 pm

On same subject, to post to an album, I discovered only way I could do it was create album and then repost.
Having done that, how do I remove a picture?
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm

I don't understand that question.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:42 pm

To create album (sub-album), I had to repost picture from my computer. I thought I would do some housekeeping and remove the same picture which was duplicated in my main album.
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 pm

No, can't do.

Once a picture is up, it's where you put it.

I think this is baked into the design of the gallery. But you are free to google and try to find definite info.

PS: please do not delete pictures you have included in any posts. We'll get complaints about the missing picture forever.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:45 am

Ok. Good to understand.
Thanks for all the work you do with this.
Tipster1

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum