Scam alert

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Scam alert

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm

It looks like the e-mail account for forum member "Cliff" has been captured and a scammer may be using it to message other forum members or DSA members.

I received a friendly message from the e-mail associated with that user on this forum and when I replied to that message, I received a reply containing the following scam sent from a different e-mail with the same user name:

I need to get an Apple iTunes Gift Card for my niece who is diagnosed with Stage 3 metastasized breast cancer, She had lost both parents to the disease (COVID-19. It's her birthday, but I can't do this now because I'm currently out of town. I checked three stores and they are all out of stock, and my Amazon account isn’t letting me purchase them for some reason. I was wondering if you could help me get it from any store around you ? And I'll reimburse you when I get back.

Because the scammer received my answer to the original message at the forum e-mail address, I must assume that he's captured "Cliff's" e-mail. Therefore, I've deactivated that account and will not contact "Cliff" by any e-mail. If contacted by someone among DSA leadership who can vouch for "Cliff" and supply a new (clean) e-mail for him, I can reactivate the account.

In the meantime, especially if you are a DSA member, please be careful when someone contacts you with a user name from the forum and an e-mail from among the DSA membership.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum