Calling all lurkers

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Calling all lurkers

Postby Chetcosailing » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:42 pm

I recently purchased a Spindrift DS1 to sail with my wife. We inspected the boat last week, but don’t have it home yet.
I’ve enjoyed browsing the forum and learning as much as I can. The DS1 seems the perfect boat for us at this point.
I rent a Colgate 26 in San Diego a few times a year, but live on the Oregon coast now. Will sail our lakes here, not the Pacific.
For a decade in the 80’s I trimmed spinnaker on a very well sailed Lightning,and Thursday evening raced my own Lightning, crewed Snipes, daysailed a old FD, back fleet raced a Laser, some time spinnaker trimming on a 1/4 ton and 1/2 ton.
I anticipate the DS to give what I loved about the Lighting, but will be easier for me and wife, at ahem, senior time.
Brad
Chetcosailing

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:54 pm

Brad, welcome to the forum. Wishing you tons of fun with your new boat and we'll be here to help with questions. Have you reached out to other DS sailors in your region? The DSA member site may have more information.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Chetcosailing » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:53 am

Thanks Greenlake, I haven’t looked for other DS owners yet, Coos Bay and Eugene have fleets closest to me, we hope to visit on or soon after opening days.
Our boat will need usual cleanup when we get it home, then sort, test, and refurb as needed. I intend a few days sailing before I make any changes, but I’m really tempted to lead more controls to midship near helmsman. Currently everything is under the back edge of the cabin top. I’m thinking to move vang and Cunningham. The traveler is there already.
Chetcosailing

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:04 pm

If you want to share your rigging plans, let's move the discussion out of this thread. You can perhaps start one in the Rigging section.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum