Posting Images

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Posting Images

Postby boone » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:11 pm

There are two ways to add images to your posts on this site.

1) Add the image to this website. This is preferred for images we'll want to keep around for the long-term, like repair how-tos or race photos. You'll need a user account for this to work and to be logged in.

Click the "Photos" link on the menu bar. Scroll to the bottom of the album list and click on "Your Personal Gallery." Then click the "Upload Pic" link and use this to add your image to the site. Once the image has uploaded, click to view it. Note the number you see in the address bar, something like pic_id=1234. That's the number to remember.

Go to the Forums and post your message. To include your image, add the following block to your text:

Code: Select all
[thumb=1234]

This will insert a small version of the image, which users can click on to see the full version. You can add multiple images to your post, just make sure you have the number IDs correct!

For example, here is a link to photo #5:

[thumb=5]

The forum software was updated in 2012; this means that you need to use different code instead:
[album]1234[/album]

The result works like the old code did. (You might want to edit any old posts. They will now show [thumb-nnn] in the text where there was an image.)
Here is the same example updated to use the new code to show image 5:

2) Or you can upload the image to your own website. This is OK for stuff that doesn't need to be retained, like images for classified ads. Then link to it like this:

[img]http://mysite.com/myimage.jpg[/img]

For example, here's a link to http://forum.daysailer.org/images/dsorg-logo4.png:

Note: for both of these methods to work, make sure the "Disable BBCode in this post" box is unchecked.

Any questions, just ask!
With the current software (post 2012) there's a third way: creating an image attachment. Instructions in the thread below.
Last edited by boone on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
boone
Site Admin

Postby boone » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:08 am

Thanks, I fixed the link.

The original image is here:

[img]http://forum.daysailer.org/images/daysailer.gif[/img]
Anhinga, DS 5702
boone
Site Admin

Getting images in the correct size

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm

For Windows, theres a free utility called "Resize my photos" that will allow you to resize them easily to the 800 x 600 format for posting to the album. Usually doing that reduces the file size enough to fit the limit on KB.

NOTE: the maximum height allowed is 600, even for portrait format pictures, and the maximum width is 800. So if you have 800x600 pictures, some of which are landscape and some of which are portrait, you'd need to resize down the portrait ones, because 800 pixels will be too tall.

HINT: if you don't have software to resize images, a quick way is to mail the pictures to yourself. On windows, if you select an image, right click on it and select "Sent To -> Mail recipient" you will be offered a choice of sizes. "Medium" size should work. Save the copy of pictures you sent to yourself and use them to post to the forum.
Last edited by GreenLake on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

How the [code] instruction works.

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:12 am

Some people get confused by the little "code:" box that Boone used above in his explanation. Here's an example that might help clarify things.
(Updated this post to use the "album" BBC code not the old-style "thumb" - if you see any of your older posts, you can edit this yourself so your gallery images are visible again)

When you type "album" in square brackets, followed by a number followed by "/album" in square brackets again, as I've done on the next line, you get a thumbnail of image 896 in the "Photos" section of this forum.
If you click on the thumbnail you get to see your gallery picture.

And here's an example of pointing to an external image following the instructions in the earlier posts:

However, if you surround the same text with code and /code (each in square brackets), you get to see what you saw in your edit window, without any images.

Here's my post repeated with the entire text surrounded by code. What you will see inside the "code" box, is what I typed into the editor up to here.

Some people get confused by the little "code:" box that Boone used above in his explanation. Here's an example that might help clarify things.

When you type "album" in square brackets, followed by a number followed by "/album" in square brackets again, as I've done on the next line, you get a thumbnail of image 896 in the "Photos" section of this forum.
[album]2717[/album]

And here's an example of pointing to an external image following the instructions in the earlier posts:
[img]http://forum.daysailer.org/images/dsorg-logo4.png[img]

However, if you surround the same text with code and /code (each in square brackets), you get to see what you saw in your edit window, without any images.

Here's my post repeated with the entire text surrounded by code. What you will see in the "code" box, is what I typed in my editor up to here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby navahoIII » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:17 am

Great name "Oofah"! How did you decide on it? I know that it is an expression Italians use when they've run out of patience or are frustrated...
navahoIII

Please keep images and posts together

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:44 am

Please, if you can, do not delete images that you have linked to posts in the forum. That would make it hard to impossible to follow those older posts.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 am

So, is there a limit on pics?
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby hectoretc » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:38 am

jdoorly wrote:So, is there a limit on pics?

Yes, but you're only 2/3 there. GL is working on the challenge.

Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Occasionally, I still see people have troubles with posting images.

The following information might help:

In order to link an image stored on an external site with the IMG tag, the URL has to end in ".jpg" or ".gif" or ".png}. Otherwise the forum software WILL NOT recognize it as an image. When you get a "permanent link" or do a "share" on your favorite image hosting site, make sure what you get ends in .jpg (or .gif or .png). The better sites offer a variety of ways to link to them, and they usually support this requirement. (Images hosted on another site can be of any size).

In order to post to the Gallery, an image file has to be no taller than 1024px and no wider than 1280px, and be compressed so it fits in under 500,000 bytes. (Note that a rotated 1280x1024 image would need to be cropped, or it's too tall.)

For an attachment, an image file can be up to 256K, with no restriction on pixel dimensions (attached images that are too tall/wide will require scrolling).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Posting Images

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Anyone else having trouble posting pics since the changeover? I'm getting this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forum.daysailer.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Have tried it using both Explorer and Firefox, and images are within the size requirements ...

Greenlake, help! ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: Posting Images - Attachments

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

I posted many images in my posts on refinishing the floor boards and types of ropes and those were via attachments; others have posted to the gallery (as late as 10 days ago is the most recent). This sounds like what you describe: a server error. Those can be transient.

How did you try to upload?

Here are two test uploads.

DSC08289_800.jpg
Repeat attachment - test
DSC08289_800.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 30719 times

To attach images like this, click on the "Upload Attachment" tab below the place where you are composing the text for your post. After uploading your image file (less than 256KB) there will be a section "POSTED ATTACHMENTS". You can add a comment for your image, and you can click on "Place inline". That will place a bit of BBC Code into your post, like this:
[attachment=0]DSC08289_800.jpg[/attachment]

When you preview your post, this will be replaced by the image. (Make sure that you uncheck the "Disable BBCode" item in the "Options" tab).

The image below, I added by clicking on the "Gallery" button above the post editor (not the link at the top of the page). This takes you to you personal gallery and each image preview has an "insert image in post" button, which you can click to insert that image.

The code inserted in your post is:
[album]1984[/album]

You can also add this code using the "album" button, but then you need to manually insert the ID number for the image you'd like to show. This works for showing images from other people's galleries or the main gallery.

Updated April 5, 2017
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Tried to upload to my gallery, as well as uploading as an attachment, from two different computers on two different servers, using two different browsers on each. No dice. What do you mean by "transient"?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Did you try after I just succeeded, or was that before? Can you download my image and try with it, just to rule out an issue with your file?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 pm

I tried just now and got the same error message, with photos I'm sure are small enough to load.

It looks like the error message I get a lot of times when I load the Daysailer home page; the forum's current 5 topics, down a ways on the right-hand side of the page, displays "510 server error" on a teal-blue background. When that happens, I can always get to the forum by clicking the Forum link at the top of the page.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:09 am

I got a 500 when simply trying to reach the forum.

That has happened once before, I'll ping the ISP about it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum