Spell check for Forum Posts

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spell check for Forum Posts

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:07 pm

If you are like me and think much faster than you can type, you too may wish you had a spell check that could be used on sites like this. (maybe you already do)

With the guidance of a smart person I found an Internet Explorer based spell checker that was simple to install, simple to use (click tools - ieSpell and it does the rest) and (as I've found) knows almost nothing of nautical terms. It also doesn't do context checks so I'm able to post for "Bulge pumps" rather than bilge pumps and It's happy to approve Baton as a fair replacement for Batten. Oh well, maybe next year's update will do better for me...

So if you're tired of asking your wife how to spell words like "athwartship" (which I can't even pronounce, and b.t.w. the spell checker claims, should be hyphenated) or conjugation or others (how can she possibly know how to spell those things), now there is a less "I told you so" alternative.

Go here if you would like more info, or to download.

GL - This sort of seemed like a Website kind of posting. If I'm wrong please feel free to relocate, or I'll be happy to do so if you want to tell me where to stick it. :)

http://download.cnet.com/ieSpell/3000-1 ... 08550.html
Last edited by hectoretc on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I like your subject line. :)
Alan

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 pm

+1 for what Alane said. :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Alan wrote:I like your subject line. :)

Sigh.... I've corrected it, but for those who missed it, it was "Sell check for forum posts"

double sigh....
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Spell checkers are nice - they catch a lot of random stuff, so the reader has an easier time. Firefox seems to have the spellchecker built in, for those not using IE.

Many nautical or technical terms are not written apart, or hyphenated. Spell checkers that don't know the term, but know the constituents will suggest writing them apart or hyphenating them. (Don't listen).

They also, sometimes, have very amusing suggestions. If anyone comes across one relevant to sailing, why not add it to this thread.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm

I thought you did it on purpose! :D
TIM WEBB

Postby hectoretc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:I thought you did it on purpose! :D

Yeah... I did... that's it... I new watt I woz due-ing the hole time... I mint to do it lick that... :D
hectoretc

Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum