Second Cruise of 2018 - Too Windy

Posts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise as well as posts reporting on cruises. (Daysailing with interesting destination counts). Organized cruises may better fit the Events forum and general discussions of cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Second Cruise of 2018 - Too Windy

Postby fatjackdurham » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 am

My second cruise didn't go well. I thought I would put in at the Lamoille river boat ramp, and motor out to Mallets Bay, but the motor didn't start (again). It took a good half hour or more to make it out to the bay and when I got there, the wind had kicked up to above 15 knots or more. My boat just didn't want to sail. It kept getting hit by a wave and stopping dead. I could trim the sails in properly without maybe tipping, and the water was so unstable I didn't dare try to reef out there.

I pretty much turned tail and headed back up river. Running a broad reach back to the mouth of the river, I still was dangerously close to being turned over. I was flying.

in the river, I took the boom off and rolled up the sail while I waited for someone to give me a tow back to the boat ramp. While tossing a line to a jet ski, I saw a small rope snake of the deck and disappear into the water. Back at shore, I discovered it was my boom gooseneck slide. Oops.

As I was driving across the causeway at the Sand Bar, the wind had died to the predicted 7 mph or so. I must have been out during a squall. There had been plenty of storm clouds overhead, but it had cleared up. If I had waited, it would have been fine.

Oh, well. New parts ordered. I fixed that darn motor (again). It was the fuel cut of switch had deteriorated and was blocking the line. Someday, I have a dream, that I will be out on the water, and when I need to use the motor, it will work.....
fatjackdurham

Re: Second Cruise of 2018 - Too Windy

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Hear ya!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Cruising