Beautiful afternoon yesterday

Where you've been or where you'd like to go. Trip reports or thoughts on how to plan and prepare for a cruise. (A memorable or challenging Daysail totally counts).
Organized cruises events: use the Events forum.
General info on Cruising grounds are found in Fleets/Locations.

Moderator: GreenLake

Beautiful afternoon yesterday

Postby Acornrunner » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow, spent 3 1/2 hours cruising yesterday, beautiful leaves, lake to ourselves, 12-14 MPH winds. Sailed the whole upper basin of Lake Springfield, Springfield, IL. Who knew went I bought this boat two months ago, I would be able to squeeze in 9 outings. Who knew it would be 73 degrees November 7th?

Boat handled like a champ, was able to sail away from the dock, and right back to it, kept the motor tipped out of the water the whole time.

My wife spotted a one inch tear on the sail, about six inches from the foot. How do I mend it? What type of thread?

I have seen some boats rigged with a traveler near the stern, with the main sheet rigged to it. My mainsheet simply hooks to the boom midway, and down to the centerboard trunk. Is there an advantage to rigging the traveler?

Hope you people are staying safe, On the lake I had no worries, No Politics, No Pandemic, No talking heads. Almost perfect in every way!

sign me Smooth Sailing
Attachments
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Last edited by Acornrunner on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acornrunner

Re: Beautiful afternoon yesterday

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Acornrunner wrote:Boat handled like a champ, was able to sail away from the dock, and right back to it, kept the motor tipped out of the water the whole time.

It's so easy to do that, that I leave my motor at home most of the time. Usually only bring it if I think there's a chance that the wind is going to run out, or I plan to traverse one of the areas that are usually in some wind shadow (like certain bridges).

"Acornrunner wrote:On the lake I had no worries, No Politics, No Pandemic, No talking heads. Almost perfect in every way!

That's how it should be.

I've looked at the map. Looks like a nice lake for sailing with a DS. I take it that bridge divides the lake for sailboats. Correct? Where do you put in? At the place marked "sailboat launch"?

PS: I'll answer your sail repair and rigging questions in the Sails and Rigging sections. Let's keep this focused on cruising.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Acornrunner » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:44 pm

I've looked at the map. Looks like a nice lake for sailing with a DS. I take it that bridge divides the lake for sailboats. Correct? Where do you put in? At the place marked "sailboat launch"?

Lake Springfield is about 4,500 acres. Several places I can sail a mile or more without changing course. I live on the middle basin, and I'm looking for a lift to keep the DS on next year, but this year I have used the Sailboat Launch in the North or Upper Basin.

Lindsay Bridge divides the lake, and I can go under it only if the lake is low, even then a motor is required and the winds tricky. It is a beautiful bridge I believe fashioned after Monet's famous Waterloo Bridge Paintings Circa 1903

The Island Bay Yacht Club is on the middle basin with me, and I may try my hand at the open class races next year.

One last detail, the Sailboat launch is guarded by two trees, which means I have to raise and lower my mast on the ramp. Yes I have contacted the Park District, I guess it is a very under utilized boat ramp if they did not see the problem themselves, lol.
Acornrunner

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:11 pm

My favorite launch basically consists only of the ramp, and is divided from the street by power cables. On race nights, all my sailing friends rig their boats on the upper end of the ramp. It's amazing to see people launching the occasional motorboat in the mayhem. So, I can totally picture your setup.

Looks like you have a sweet playground for your boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Acornrunner » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:11 am

GreenLake wrote:My favorite launch basically consists only of the ramp, and is divided from the street by power cables. On race nights, all my sailing friends rig their boats on the upper end of the ramp. It's amazing to see people launching the occasional motorboat in the mayhem. So, I can totally picture your setup.

Looks like you have a sweet playground for your boat.

IMG_6890.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg (159.42 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Acornrunner

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Very nice.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Cruising and Daysailing