Cruising vs Racing Rules of the Road

Moderator: GreenLake

Cruising vs Racing Rules of the Road

Postby tomodda » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi Folks:

Just a small cautionary tale about the Sailing Rules of the Road.

I was out of my favorite lake yesterday, just having a fine daysail with a buddy of mine. We were lazily swapping tacks across the lake with a small cruiser (maybe 22' long) when we got into a crossing situation with her, as we were both trying to round a point on land. We were on port tack, she on star, closing with steady bearing, definitely a collision course at some 5-6 knots of speed (it was a very nice day!). She obviously had right of way and my plan was to get within a boat-length (hers, not mine) and duck behind her. Easy-peasy and not losing too much windward ground on our way up to the point.

To my great surprise, the other boat gave way at about 3 boat-lengths distance, bearing off and heading straight into me and my give-way path. I quickly hollered "YOU stand-on! I give way!" and gave way the instant she started to head up again (Plan B was to tack if she kept coming on, since bearing off would just accelerate us into a collision). No harm done and we exchanged pleasantries as we passed.. such a pretty day, how can you not smile?

But.. lesson learned. Unless you are racing, you're cruising! Don't act like it's Race 7 of the AC, especially not in a lil' old DS. Make your intentions clear early. And don't assume everyone knows the rules of the road. I should have given way about 3 1/2 or 4 boat lengths out, and/or hailed the other boat to let them know that I would be giving way. If the positions were reversed, I should be telling them that I'd stand on or better yet "I'll hold course". Certainly not shout "Starboard!" As I've written here many times, I don't race (anymore), but old habits die hard. And for all the drama, I still made the point on my next tack, so my plan to shave her stern was completely unnecessary. I forgot the #1 Rule of the Road, which is "Don't make the other skipper sweat."
tomodda

Re: Cruising vs Racing Rules of the Road

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Good points, all.

Non-racing collision rules require early and positive action if you are the give-way vessel. That means if it looks to the other boat that there might be a possible collision, you're already "in the wrong".

When racing, you can (usually) rely on there being some boat handling skills combined with experience in close crossing situations.

Even if you end up in a friendly "race" against the one other boat on the lake, those assumptions don't apply, of course. (And sometimes they don't apply even in the more casual races).

And even if you just sail around, it's really interesting to observe what kinds of rules people think they are following, or that they think apply in a given situation.

Although, I can understand why someone might be unsure. It takes practice, but if you sail in places and at times where there's no traffic, you won't have a chance to get better.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Good points, and I fully admit that I was in the wrong. The fact that the other boat had doubt about my intentions is totally my fault, and I should have given wide berth.

And thinking about it now, this was the first time that I every had a crossing situation here on the Carolina lakes. Not much sail traffic to worry about (stinkpots is another story), and most of it is racers, where my main concern is to stay the heck off the course. I blundered into our season highlight "Governor's Cup Regatta" back in June.. there were a bunch of Flying Scotts and whatnot going around the buoys 1/2 mile from us, I didn't even notice a separate race of Weta Tri's until I was suddenly surrounded by 4-5 of them zooming by on both sides! Given the speed difference, I just held course and sailed out of there as best I could. Better to be a predictable obstacle than start making sudden course changes. Anyway, yes, practice makes perfect....
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Being predictable is good, very good. Except when it's on you to get out the way. Then doing so predictably.

Lakes can be funny. I've sailed on lakes where the international rules apply; there are some where the Inland Rules apply and then there are some that may not be considered navigable and therefore may be fully under state regulations.

International/Inland rules are very similar (some differences that primarily account for river navigation). But if purely local rules apply, know what they are.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Seamanship and boat handling