MOB and other drills

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I heave-to almost every time I'm out, sometimes several times. It's my "go-to" method of just stopping, taking a rest, getting a drink, reefing, changing the stereo, calling my wife, whatever. In extreme cases I'll anchor. I'll admit: I don't ALWAYS wear the PFD (think freedom here, as in why some suicyclists don't wear helmets), but if the conditions warrant it in the least, that bad boy's goin' on! I made over 5000 skydives without a helmet, and there were many instances when NOT having one on saved my a$$ - better visibility, hearing, etc. No such excuses with the PFD I guess ...

I've done the HOB (Hat Over Board) drill a few times, and even a WPOB (Whisker Pole Over Board) drill once. Since I normally singlehand, my main concern is how will I get back to the boat if she tosses me. Prevention is key: the first rule of thumb is NEVER EVER EVER drop the mainsheet from your hand, unless hove to or anchored. The second is to pick your days, and never go out in conditions you can't handle. (Re) learned this lesson at the Trans Monroe last month ...

The capsize drill I have yet to do. Decided it wasn't necessary, maybe got a bit scared to do it, the stars didn't align, whatever, but this incident has really got me thinking ...
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:25 am

Over on some other forum there's a discussion on how much harder it is to keep one's head out of the water when wearing significant amounts of clothing. Yet another "condition" that by itself would warrant wearing a PFD.

Speaking about risk from safety devices. On a boat like the DS, getting snagged on some part of the PFD could be an issue. Wearing some layer over the PFD, like the hardcore dinghy racers, might not be a bad idea for that reason.

The high boom on the DS makes that less of a problem with the DS, but I've managed to get myself tangled.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hectoretc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks GL for opening this topic and for all the responses.
Coming up on first launch date here in a few weeks, and although I'm not likely to encounter substantial weather or sea conditions on an 800 acre lake in MN, every single posting on this topic is very relevant for general boating safety and I'm cutting & pasting into a word doc. to print out, laminate, and keep clearly handy (and attached) on my boat from day one. Sometime later this year (much later), my 3 year old grandson will likely sail with me and I cannot imagine how terrible it would be if things went very wrong. Safety first, fun second... Thanks again!
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Pfd

Postby kokko » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:12 pm

On my DS1 is always wear a pfd. On my Catalina I wear one when alone, when racing or when the winds are above 10 kts Out with friends on a gentle day I have it within reach.
I have inflatables for my wife and I. They are not bulky and so are more comfortable.

As for hats there is only one - a Tilley.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Just ordered my Tilley today! I'll do my best to keep it out of The Red Witch's wake ... :o
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Seamanship and boat handling