single-handed sailing

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: single-handed sailing

Postby Skippa » Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 pm

I sail my DSII on a small, 200 acre lake in minneapolis. I work nights so about 75% of my sailing is single handed.
Having now owned Nauti-Cal for 3 full seasons I have made many of the standard improvements found on this site.
The best improvement for me was changing the headsail sheet configuration. I put series 40 ratchet blocks where the original cam cleats were located on the coamings. Installed cam cleats on the centerboard trunk. Instant improvement for single hand sailing.
Installing a topping lift probably comes in second. Makes jiffy reefing much easier. Also makes hauling and douseing the main a much easier process.
The boat sits on a bouy during the season. I have very nice cockpit/boom tent so I leave the main on the boom. Time from arrival at the lake to actually sailing is about 15 minutes, Like Greelake, it seems to take much longer to put her to bed.
Being on a city lake there is a "no gas engine" restriction. This is not a problem on this small lake. I can use a canoe paddle and do the one handed storke and steer method to get home from almost any part of the lake in short order if the wind truely does die completly. The dock is "L" shaped so I rarely have any issue makeing way or fetching it on return. Hoist the sails at the dock with the bow into the wind, Pull the bow close to the dock, remove the dock line from the cleat and hop aboard while giving the bow a bit of a nudge and sail off on reach or run, Piece of cake!
I plan to expreriment with length of parachute cord attached to the head of the jib and run back the cockpit so I can haul the headsail down a bit easier. This has presented problems when the wind is up and I feel the boat is overpowered and a reef doesn't reduce the heel enough. It isn't easy to get up on the deck to smoother the jib that only wants to drop halfway down!
I hope to do a little more trailer sailing this year. I need to recruit a few crew members for that. I feel the need to get back out on bigger water. I miss feeling the rythem of waves larger than 6 inches and staying on one tack longer than 15 minutes. I dont need to launch her in Lake Superior for that but this is "The Land OF 10,000 Lakes" and also the never ending winter.
Hope to launch in nine days if spring ever does arrive.
Skippa

Postby jeadstx » Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I single hand about half the time I go out sailing, although I have had crew lately. I always have to drive to the lake, about 30 miles from my house. When racing I always try to get crew. My set up time is no where near as fast as Tim. When I go out by myself it usually takes me longer to rig than when someone is with me as my knees don't work as good as they once did and jumping in and out of the boat while rigging isn't as easy as it once was. Getting the mast up has not been a problem. Putting the boat up after sailing takes longer when I am by myself than when I have crew. The woman who has been crewing for me lately has figured out where everything goes, so take down has been easier. Also, in central Texas when it gets to be late July and into August the temps can get into the upper 90's to mid 100's, that will slow down my setup and putting away time. I also rarely have a dock to tie the boat to when getting ready to sail so I have had to learn the art of beach launching, which depending on the wind can sometimes be tricky since I don't have a motor on the boat (at this time).

I have tried to set up my boat for everything to be handled from the cockpit. I also find it important to be able to handle things from the cockpit when sailing events like the Texas 200. In some conditions you just don't want anyone to have to get out on the bow. I have the tiller tamer that has been mentioned above. I have found that I don't need to tighten it all the way down when I need to let the tiller go to do something. I also have a tiller extension. As Skippa mentioned, I have moved my jib cam cleats to the CB trunk and replaced the original cam cleats on the coamings with a block. My jib downhaul has been routed to the top of the cuddy cabin roof where it can be accessed easily. I have a topping lift. I have also had sail slugs put on my main, it makes putting the main up and down easier than feeding the bolt rope in the slot. My jiffy reef lines also lead into the cockpit.

Since (at this point), I don't have a motor I have oars installed for those times that I get becalmed. I have a 2hp Evinrude Model of 1940 that came with the boat when I bought it, but it needs a complete overhaul, ethonal in the gas was not kind to it. I am planning on purhasing a Lehr propane outboard, so in the future I may have another option for auxillary power. It should make getting off a beach easier.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby jeadstx » Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 pm

On the subject to those who are concerned that if they have a tiller tamer and fall out that the boat will take off, I can answer that. Last year on the first day of the Texas 200 we got hit by a rouge wave that knocked both my cousin Bill and I out of the boat. My tiller tamer was not engaged because Bill didn't like it and removed the lines when he thought I wasn't looking (put it back together later). In fact he would remove any rigging that wasn't what he had on his Catalina 25. When the wave started capsizing us to starboard (we were on starboard tack), he was at the helm and fell off first, I saw him going over backward. A second later I went over the side. The boat didn't capsize, righted and turned to port as it started to take off, sails still set. I managed to grab the stern (somehow) with the help of a saftey line attached to the stern cleat (Bill hadn't removed that one yet, but it was missing the next day). I hung on to the stern and turned the boat into the wind. We got rescued by other boats in the fleet.

Opinion, I don't think one should worry about falling over and the boat sailing off just for having a tiller tamer. Have safety lines running from bow to stern along the sides and have a line to grab on the stern when single handing, you may never need it, but it is good to have.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 03, 2013 12:06 am

I tend to bring the trolling motor more often when I single hand. The weight of the batteries (tied forward of the benches), helps in balance and adds a bit of ballast (tying them to the mast would be even better, but there's a tradeoff - I can't get them in and out from there while standing outside the boat).

With two people I know I can paddle out from the dock, or across a smallish calm spot, but it's work, and more work than I'm willing to be forced into when alone. Hence making sure the motor is on board.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Fri May 03, 2013 2:10 am

From these posts and my own experience, I could synthesize the checklist as:
--ability to keep the boat level: one or two mainsail reefs, a traveler than can be let out to leeward, and possibly a storm jib.
--all critical functions possible from any point in the cockpit, including raising, dousing, and trimming sails; dropping and weighing anchor, picking up mooring cleats and bouys; and raising and lowering the mast
--ability to leave the cockpit with the boat in control when you screw up the previous item on the checklist. (Folks mentioned tiller tamers. Other approaches include heaving to and deploying a sea anchor or drogue.)
--one handed operation of critical functions (i.e., cam cleats).

Another class of concerns is the whole general safety issue. Consider family, friends, and people who might need to rescue you if you mess up. If you fall off the boat, no one will turn it around to pick you up. (My wife now demands I use jacklines and an offshore harness when I go out alone in rough weather.) If you capsize, you probably won't be able to right the boat by yourself. (I installed a waterproof hatch to give myself a fighting chance.) If the wind dies and your motor fails, you're going to have a tough time paddling home alone. (I installed oars.) If you get wet and cold, the only one who will deal with (or even know about) your hypothermia is you. If something breaks . . . . etc. In other words, you have to be radically self-sufficient.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 03, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm not as nervous about doing everything while seated. Raising and lowering sails, as well as putting in a reef, are operations I do while standing in the forward part of the cockpit. I see no big benefit of moving all those lines to some other point in the boat, with all the attendant added friction and lack of mechanical advantage. (Having above average reach helps). If night falls, I set position lights at the bow, which means a trip forward. That has never been an issue. Incidentally, I bring the painter back from the bow to a cleat on the foredeck and then a cleat on the cuddy top. That makes for an easy "grab line". I don't tend to encounter waves very much, so that factors into the ease of moving about the boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Disclaimer on the 15 minute setup: that's just the minimum I've ever achieved, and it only happened once. It was when I was really "current", getting to the lake 3-5 times a week, and really "had the system down". It's usually more like 20-25 minutes ...

Oh, one other thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is this:

http://www.bargainboatparts.com/p-10316 ... evers.aspx

This gem shaves off lots of setup time! No adjusting any turnbuckles. Just get your shrouds/sidestays adjusted to where you want them once, then every time all you need to do is pin the forestay to this gizwizzy, lock it in, and the rig is up! :D

D&R offers a forestay/lever combination, and were gracious enough to sell me just the stay minus the lever, since I had already received one as a gift ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 am

I have a mast-jack system. Three turns with the big bronze nut. Definitely slower than a lever, but convenient in its own way.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Mast jack would be nice ... if only it was an option on the DS2 ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 am

The joys of a keel stepped mast.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: single-handed sailing / topping lift

Postby csrguth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Does anyone have pictures of how they attached the topping lift to the top of the mast? I'm considering running a 4mm line.

Craig
csrguth@gmail.com
1980 Rebel Daysailer, Sail # 11041
csrguth
csrguth@gmail.com
1980 Rebel, Sail# 11041
Pummakale, Turkish for Cotton Castle
gallery/album.php?album_id=126
csrguth

Postby seandwyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 am

Craig--I don't have pictures, but I can easily tell you what I did. Originally I had the diamond stays on my mast. When I removed them I left the tangs in place which were riveted to the mast. Now, I did realize that the lower ones which pointed up were a bad idea one day when being forced to come back into a marina during a sudden blow. I pulled the main down as fast as I could to de-power but the sail still caught and was torn. That said, I haven't found any reason to remove the top ones and the holes are filled with the rivets still. The lower ones I removed, then filled the rivet holes in with new rivets and silicone caulk. Less holes are better! So--I just attached a small bullet block to the starboard side tang and ran the end of the line down to a cleat I installed at the base of the mast above the cheek blocks. The other end runs down to an eye that I riveted on to the end of the boom. If you don't have the tangs on the top of the mast, I'm sure you can find a similar piece of hardware. One rivet should do it--two would be better.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby seandwyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm

This discussion is great! I've been lurking for a while and you guys have lots of stuff that has made an impression on me--especially the ratchet blocks. Those are coming to a boat near me soon. Even when it's blowing hard, I tend to cleat the main and leave the sheet in my lap as I hike out because it just gets too exhausting holding that line with mechanical advantage. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of changing my entire main sheet system. I have the original Crosby (I think it's called) setup with the original 45 year old Schaefffer stainless blocks. Anyone care to chime in on the best way to go for single handing?

My sailing is almost always single handed even though I almost always have "crew". They tend to try to do what I ask, but kids are kids and I generally have to re-do it, or adjust it, so I'm pretty much on my own with an audience.

I cannot get the rigging down to a manageable time, so I have opted to keep the boat rigged in a parking lot. As it is it still takes me 15 minutes to get the sails bent on and float the boat off the trailer. I put the floorboards up on the seats in case the boom tent fails and the boat fills with rain, so I guess that takes a few minutes, too. This year I have gone to leaving the fenders and dock lines in place, as well as the sheets.

You know what I'd like to hear about? Does anyone have any ideas about how to neatly bring the main down and flake it to the boom--and tie it there, all single handed? When I am alone and the main comes down, the boat looks a mess and trying to manage the tying to the boom is something an octopus would have a tough time with. Honestly, I feel like every time out I damage the sail bringing it down and trying to tie it up.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby jdoorly » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 am

Hi Sean,

I don't flake the mainsail on the boom. I 'skin the bunt' instead. This method is harder on the sail but easy on the solo crew, but requires sail slugs in the main luff and not a rope luff. You can always flake out the mainsail when your safe in port.

I let go the main halyard and push down on each sail slug as it comes down. I secure the main halyard then move to a mid boom position on starboard where I can steer with one foot if necessary. With the sail on the portside and in the cockpit, I grab at the port side of the mainsail and roll the sail in on itself (with sail still on portside). In just a few seconds the sail is rolled in the center and I secure a bungy around the center part. I move a couple feet aft and roll up the after part of the sail and secure it with a bungy. I then move to the forward part of the boom clean up the sail and secure it with a bungy. Done!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 am

Sean,

I roll my sails to store them. For the mainsail, I start at the headboard and roll down toward the foot, rolling the sail such that the battens (I leave them in the sail) are parallel to the roll and not bent. When I rig the boat, I end up with a rolled mainsail attached to the boom. I don't have a topping lift and most of the time I don't use the boom crutch either. I allow the boom to rest on the deck outside the coaming and secure the mainsheet to keep it from falling in the water. This keeps the boom out of the way to access the motor, centerboard up/down hauls and doesn't interfere with movement of the tiller. Taking the main down, I roll it up to the boom and secure it with ties. If I'm going to anchor or beach somewhere, I'll use the boom crutch, otherwise I rest the boom on the deck again. My gallery has a pic of my boat at anchor at this year's Florida 120 with sail rolled up to the boom and boom in the crutch. When the sail is rolled up, three small ties are all that is needed to hold the sail on the boom for the night. My dad's Morgan 30 had nylon sail tie straps permanently mounted on the boom so they were always there when the sail came down. I haven't done that on my boat.
Chris B.
ChrisB

PreviousNext

Return to Seamanship and boat handling