Capsized stories?

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Capsized stories?

Postby SherWood » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:01 pm

Are there any soothing anecdotes out there from long timers that have NEVER capsized a DS, or is that unheard of? I struggle with the risk/reward profile of a boat that appears to be very difficult to recover.
SherWood

Postby BananaCollision » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:23 pm

SherWood wrote:Are there any soothing anecdotes out there from long timers that have NEVER capsized a DS, or is that unheard of? I struggle with the risk/reward profile of a boat that appears to be very difficult to recover.

I had no great trouble recovering. My problems were after recovering, caused by boat in poor condition. Keep your ship shipshape and you’ll be fine, it seems to me.
BananaCollision

Postby tomodda » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm

SherWood wrote:Are there any soothing anecdotes out there from long timers that have NEVER capsized a DS, or is that unheard of? I struggle with the risk/reward profile of a boat that appears to be very difficult to recover.

Well, don't know if this counts as soothing, but I've yet to capsize my DS1. Two caveats: I've only been sailing it for 4 years, and I've NEVER capsized a boat (except practice) in my life. Caveat #2 probably means that I sail too conservatively, but I did grow up sailing Hobie 14's and 16's. My Dad taught me to sail the Hobie FLAT, windward hull just skimming the water. Ease, hike, trim! And that skill translates directly to the DS, always (except when ghosting) sail with the mainsheet in hand.

The one maybe soothing thing I can tell you about the DS is that she'll sail on her ear with no problem. Slow, but stable enough. In other words, I've had green water coming into the cockpit and not been in any danger of going over. A few more degrees, though.... More importantly, I've had her at high angles of heel in confused chop and not lost control - it's relatively easy to sail with the rail under on smooth(ish) water, but get's dicey when the waves are pushing you around. No problem on the DS. I think that's due to the relatively sharp "knuckle" of her deadrise aft (in other words, she has a "Corner" which digs into the water, holding you steady). But I could be wrong, all I know is she has pretty good terminal stability. She's not going to capsize until she gets up around 75-80 degrees. That being said, I'd HATE to have her turn turtle, would be a real bear to turn back over. I need to put some flotation in my mast, but in the meantime I have a guardian angel perched up on top of the Windicator. God protects children, drunks, and fools!

Ok, hope you feel somewhat soothed. Remember to lash down anything that you don't want to lose in a capsize, bring a bailing bucket, and you'll be fine!

Tom
tomodda

Postby SherWood » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Thanks Tom. The reason I'm polling this is because I am trying to decide whether or not to give spring sailing on Lake Michigan a go. I got my DS2 last July so I never had to deal with the arctic water with this particular boat. If I were to go out this spring I would have zero tolerance for capsizing on a boat that might take awhile to recover. I don't race and only go out in favorable conditions, sheets always in hand.
SherWood

Postby tomodda » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:32 pm

Careful with cold water! Remember the 120° Rule: Air Temp + Water Temp needs to be above 120°F, below that wear a wetsuit or drysuit.

Google 120 degree rule and read up on involuntary gasp reflex, hypothermic incapacitation, etc. Springtime sailing is soooo tempting, weather is warm but the water still deadly. Personally, I'm saving up for a good drysuit.

Anyway, although I've never capsized or gone overboard (involuntarily in either case) , I always sail as if I will. Has generally kept me out of trouble.... so far! Be safe.

P. S. My next sailing milestone will be to go back to a true dinghy sailor (Finn? Mirror? ) or maybe even a sailing canoe. For those, capsizing is a way of life. Why not? Summertime fun! Strange, as I get older, I keep downsizing my boat - I've gone from a 36 foot catamaran, to a 24 foot old IORC boat, to my Daysailer, and next who knows? By the time I hit 70, I'll be riding a kiteboard! :D
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:13 am

For cold-water sailing, the best thing is a dry suit (supposedly), the next best thing a wet suit.

I bought an extra heavy wet suit when I started regular winter sailing in the DS. Not sure which way I'll jump once this one wears out. It's the bib style with a separate extra heavy top. Haven't used it in anger, but I like that it has two separate pieces. I usually wait with putting on the top until after the boat is launched and ready at the dock. No use overheating.

On a not so cold day, I may put the bottom on in the parking lot after rigging, otherwise it goes on at home for the short drive.

I've been meaning to "test drive" the wet suit, but never got around to it. I have attended a safety at sea seminar with a practical session in regular sailing gear in a pool.

I've managed to not capsize the DS in about 300+ outings, and I am not tempted to try it on purpose. I've buried the rail a few times, but most scary moments have been due to squirrely downdrafts in the lee of structures or bluffs. In those situations the trim and the actual wind can be badly mismatched in a moment, even if you are attentive. But so far, the DS merely rounded up into the wind.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 am

Indeed! Thanks to the hull shape - broad at the stern, that knuckle - and thanks to her usual weather helm, the DS1 tends to round up smartly when overpressed. It's hard to keep her sailing on her ear, which is a good thing! And she's slow that way. All good reasons to be attentive to trim.

@GL, I hear you regarding the downdrafts! My local lake has some small bluffs on the west (prevailing wind) side which have really thrown me for a loop in the past. And you can get some serious downdraft on the front edges of a storm (our typical summer squalls). Once - not on my DS, but on a small keelboat - we managed to touch the masthead to the waves. Went from dead calm to "Hang on!" in a matter of seconds. Great fun. Incidents like that have taught me to be ready for anything on the water. Within reason, of course... You don't get those types of downdraft from clear blue skies, there was definitely a storm approaching before my knockdown incident and we were already reefed down. Anyway, keep one eye on the weather and your other eye looking to the lee :)
tomodda

Previous

Return to Seamanship and boat handling