Pleasant sails

Moderator: GreenLake

Pleasant sails

Postby dsheer » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm

A list of very pleasant sailing spots from my experiences this summer.

Baltimore Harbor - free ramp at the foot of the Hanover Street bridge sail to Ft. McHenry and sing the National Anthem at the place it was written. Also a very nice sail from there into the Inner Harbor. Lots of very interesting boats, including the Constellation (a frigate), the Pride of Baltimore (a schooner) and other tall ships as well. Very pretty.

Chester River - County ramp at the Kent Narrows Bridge (north side) $5.00 fee but sticker needs to be bought elsewhere before launch. Got mine at the Boater's World on the S side of 50 just east of the Bay bridge. Engine required, as the current in the narrows is strong. Once out in the Chester River, sail up into Queenstown Harbor - quiet and secluded, or over to the wildlife sanctuary on the North Shore of the Chester a wonderful and interesting marsh.

Assawoman Bay, Ocean City Maryland. Ramp at 89th St, fee $10.00 launch and retrieve. Parking is 10 blocks north, and also has a fee. The bay is big and wide, if shallow in spots. The bottoms only mud, so you won't do anything but scrape a little paint off the centerboard if you touch. Go through the bridge and up the lovely St. Martins River.

St.Augustine Fl. Harbor. Beautiful and free ramp at the St. Augustine Lighthouse. Motor out to the harbor, and even out the inlet into the ocean if the weather is good. Currents are strong, but nothing my 2 horse outboard wouldn't handle easily. The Fort (San Marcos) dates from the early 1600's and is made of marle. Great fishing - don't underestimate the qualities of the DS 1 as a fishing boat.

St. Johns River, Fl. Free and lovely ramp at the fish camp just south of the intersection of state rd 16 and St. Johns county rd 13. Wide, fresh (well almost fresh) water on a lovely river. Little current.

I'll keep this up to date as I find other spots that are particularly worthy of mention. There's something to be said for having an easily trailered boat.

Dan
dsheer

Return to Fleets/Locations