Daysailers in/around Central California

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailers in/around Central California

Postby patco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:07 pm

Looking for some daysailers to meet up, sail with, and learn from. I'm a student at UCDavis, DSII owner.
patco

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:50 am

Give Michael Measures in Atascadero, CA a call. They have a good fleet in Morro Bay.
(805) 466-3646
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby foredek » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:02 am

I live in Pleasanton. I'm headed up to Huntington Lake for a week and will reply more fully when I return. Where do you sail?
foredek

Postby patco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Went down to morro for their invitational this weekend. It was an absolute blast. I went hoping to pick up on someone's crew, but Kevin (forgot last name) had an extra boat, "the student driver", and let me borrow it for the race! I met a girl who was also looking to crew, and we formed a team and competed. Awesome experience all around. Got much advice from Mike Measures. Probably the nicest, most welcoming group of people i've ever encountered.

As for central CA daysailing, Michael Gillum in Sacramento is trying to start a DS fleet at lake Washington. If you're in/around the area and interested, let me/him/someone know, it would be great to have a fleet close to home!
patco

Postby swiftsail » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Hey patco,
I'm over in Santa Rosa and will come over and play when I can.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

DS in Northern Clifornia

Postby Mike Swift » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi folks, I just joined and was browsing some of the posts. Swiftsail & Patco seem to be close ( if you take in the whole USA). I'm new to sailing (and forums) and still haven't set up my DSII that has been in storage for ten years.
Somebody suggested I name my boat Swiftsailing but guess that won't happen. I'd like to get together with someone in Northern Californa to see a properly rigged DSII and maybe go for a sail. I'm not too far from Eagle Lake and can travel a couple hundred miles with a little planning. /Thanks/Mike
Mike Swift

Postby sidvorak » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Hey Patco!

Wow, I actually live in Davis too. Not a student but used to be and work there now. Anyway, I just bought a DS II in July. I've only taken her out 3 times so far, but would definitely be up for meeting up for a sail. Get in touch with me and we'll figure something out.
sidvorak

Postby patco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the response, everyone. I'm headed out of town for a couple weeks, but am thinking we should organize some sort of informal day sail (har har) soon for everyone interested. We can all brag/showcase/whine about how fast/slow/heavy our boats are, meet our fellow ds-ers around town, and give me a chance to try to bribe someone with fiberglass work experience with beer! What sounds good? September 13th-ish? Location? Lake Washington seems to be the place to be, but could go as far north as clear lake or south as stockton.

Whaddya think???

-Pat
patco

Postby Mike Swift » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Where is Lake Washington? According to a site on Google it's 38.5560 ,
-121.5466 I put those coordinates in Google Earth and there is water there...

I got some CB pics from Roger but my DSII has never had blocks installed on the forward end of the CB trunk or under the cuddy. Rudy gets a call tomorrow.
Mike
Mike Swift

Postby patco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:17 pm

patco

Postby sidvorak » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:43 am

September 13th sounds good to me. Lake Washington sounds good too. I didn't know it was even there. Scotts Flat lake near Nevada City is really nice as well if that might be closer for some. Maybe someone can show me how they have a traveler rigged up... j
sidvorak

Postby sidvorak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Anyone got any input on the status of getting together for a sail? Is anyone still up for this?
sidvorak

Postby swiftsail » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm

There is a regatta this weekend at Richmond Yacht club, Totally Dinghy Regatta. We have 6 Day Sailers signed up from the Bay Area so far. Everyone is welcome.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby obiewan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm over the Causeway form you Davisites. I would be very interested in getting out for a sail day. I think Lake Washington is actually a somewhat private club. Actually I know it is. I don't know how they are about guests using there facility other than on race days.

My boat needs a little TLC so it may not show for the sail but I would like to put a face with some of the members here and discuss boats.

There is Rancho Seco but it is a bit small great for Dingies though 30 minutes from Sac. and a good picnic area and decent launch area without ramp traffic. There is Woodward which is a good sailing lake as most of the time you will see catamarans out there. I used to sail mine out there a bit. Sly Park is another clse one but i don't recall the wind patterns there. I've just camped and kayaked there. Just some other ideas.
obiewan

Postby patco » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Likewise, I decided to start a massive restoration effort, and now my boat is on blocks in the garage. No timetable on the completion, but in the meantime, I'd love to meet up with some fellow DS owners.

Any of those locations mentioned sounds great. I'd like to add Berryessa to the list, the wind is good, but it's overrun with powerboats and expensive ($20) to launch. I'm wondering where bay area DS-ers go.

Anyways, if anyone has a preference (anywhere in a 100 mile radius of Sacramento is OK with me) and would like to set a date, we can get this party rolling!
patco

Next

Return to Fleets/Locations