sailing in Connecticut

Moderator: GreenLake

sailing in Connecticut

Postby ahilde » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:47 am

In mid July I am trailing my (new to me) daysailer to CT so I can take my daughter and grandaughter out for a day. Would anyone have suggestions for salt water sailing convenient to Marlborough?
ahilde

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Yes, the boat ramp that I use the most often would be the most convenient to Marlborough, Barn Island state boat ramp located in Stonington. You will basically be on route 2 in Marlborough. Drive towards the coast until you T into route 1 in Stonington turn right go couple miles to Green Haven Road and you'll see the boat ramp sign. It's a good ramp with a good parking lot.

This ramp launches you into Little Narragansett Bay which is great sailing but a little small and shallow in places but might be perfect for your intended purpose. This bay is nice and protected but the wind isn't impeded by much land (if you've got a sea breeze), just a barrier island and a small barrier peninsula. If it's really windy the water will be much smoother in here. Take the channel between Sandy Point and Stonington Point and you get into Fishers Island Sound which is perfect Daysailer sailing on many days. Actually, it's pretty much perfect sailing for anybody so you'll see a lot of boats out there.

This area is the mouth of the Long Island Sound and the current can be quite strong at times. There are only a few treacherous places and mostly right around Fishers Island or the channel out into Block Island Sound by Watch Hill. Of course, I would recommend having a chart. Also, I would recommend that you have a motor. I have seen other people sailing without motors and managing but I find it highly convenient in this location.

Enjoy your sailing adventure!

KC
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Thank You

Postby ahilde » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 pm

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks again.
ahilde

Postby jdubes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm

I've lanuched at this site a few times. Real forgiving and not really impacted by Long Island Sound.

http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=64
jdubes

Return to Fleets/Locations