Launch ramps in SE Maine

Moderator: GreenLake

Launch ramps in SE Maine

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Greetings:

We're heading to Ogunquit ME next week and I'm toying with taking DS 2922 on its first trip away from the local reservoir. But after talking with my uncle, who lives in SE Maine and was a harbormaster some years ago, he tells me that public ramps are virtually non-existent.

Can anyone recommend a place to launch within an hour from Ogunquit or York. I was hoping to do a little coastal sailing but may have to opt for inland if that's all there is.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Launch ramps in SE Maine

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:57 pm

I partially answered my own question.

For anyone interested, visit http://www.boatmaine.us/ramps.aspx. There are tons of other resources there as well.

Would still love to hear from Daysailers in the region who might have good suggestions. I don't have a motor and so need to avoid sailing through marinas and twisty rivers.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Easy launch in Brunswick

Postby SaltLakeSailer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Head North on I-95 and exit for Coastal Route 1 and follow directions to Mere Point (runs parallel and west of Route 123 for Harpswell). Just before the public road ends, there is a new public ramp that looks very easy to use. A courtesy dock is lined up with the ramp, and you launch into a nice bay (Middle Bay) that has Southwesterlies lined up so you can tack across and back. Even if you make little headway you can get back where you started. I vacation there year after year, and one year we will tow our DSI across country just to sail in spots like these.

from Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.860649 ... .2635&z=13

The ramp is down close to the tip on the East side near the "M" of "MerePoint Bay" (officially part of Middle Bay).
SaltLakeSailer

Launch ramps in SE Maine

Postby Wyatt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for the info. Will check into it.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Fleets/Locations