Sailing around Northeast Florida

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sailing Downwind in strong winds

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:01 pm

Tim,

I see where you are getting your information now :wink:

Active Captain does in fact reference that ramp as "Friendship Park Boat Ramp". But that is not what it is officially called. Between you, me, and the lamp post, that name works for me though, and they should go ahead and change it. Would make more sense because of the surrounding area.

I know you are doing exploratory sails as well. If I remember correctly you have somewhat converted your sailboat into a camper. Have you tried exploring any of the islands in the north east corner by Fernandina and St. Marys, or is Palatka as far north as you have gone? I think that my first exploratory trip will be to an Island called "Cumberland Island". It looks really interesting. You can only get there by boat, so that should lighten the tourism effect significantly. There is supposedly an abundance of wildlife to see, and is most know for it's wild roaming horses that inhabit the island. There are a couple of old plantations and ruins as well, along with lots of camping grounds. Apparently people are not allowed to live or have businesses there, so there should be no solicitation areas, lol. Their website tells you ahead of time to take what you need to eat and drink, etc. Anyways, seemed like a neat "off grid" kind of place to kick back and enjoy.

Here is a link... But google pictures would probably do it more justice.
http://www.nps.gov/cuis/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

There is a public ramp near Ft. Clinch (another neat site) on the north west tip of Amelia Island. It would be about a 4 mile sail from there to the main docks at Cumberland (and whatever extra sailing around the island one would want to do etc). I guess with the Daysailer and right shoreline, there are probably plenty of spots you could make your own dock (run the boat right up on land).

Humm?? Sounds like an excuse to take more pictures one day?

GL,

Do we have a place on this site dedicated to those sort of threads. We all live in different Geographic areas that probably provide different sailing experiences and sceneries, that from one sailor to the next may never see. Basically, a place in the forum that is less dedicated to repairs, training, and formal events, but more geared toward living vicariously through other sailors cruising adventures throughout our geographical differences.
DigitalMechanic

Location for "local" threads

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:23 pm

I've been putting threads like this into Fleets/Locations.

Looks like the old thread had a clean transition.
You can edit the thread's title by editing the subject line for the first post.
but the old subject lines for the other posts remain as they were, new posts
will pick up the thread title.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Sailing around Northeast Florida

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:07 pm

I tried to change the title in Fleets/Locations. That looks like it did the trick. Man we are really good at getting off topic aren't we? lol. Thanks for moving this for us, and for any future off topic rants that may arise.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Yup: GL's pretty good at keeping us "cats" "herded" ... ;-P

Anyhoo, yes, I've been to both Jekyll Island and Amelia/Fernandina, but not Cumberland. Haven't done any sailing in that area tho, but would love to. Palatka is as far north as I've sailed the St. J's, Pensacola is as far north as I've sailed in FL, and Georgian Bay is the furthest north I've sailed period! ;-P

Looks like the entire island (Cumberland) is a National Seashore, so there are probably all sorts of restrictions on where one can beach, camp, have a beach fire, etc. I'll study the link a bit further to see what's what.

Yes, you could say that I've converted TRW to a camper, if by that you mean I can spend several days aboard w/o setting foot ashore, because I have. <grin>

However, I prefer to think of her more as a boat I can enjoy for everything from a spur of the moment afternoon trip to the local lake, to a 120-mile, 4-day/4-night "raid". That's one of the things that is so great about the DS - it's versatility!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Anyhoo, yes, I've been to both Jekyll Island and Amelia/Fernandina, but not Cumberland. Haven't done any sailing in that area tho, but would love to.

You let me know when the day comes that you are ready, I am right down the road and would gladly tag along if you like. I have been a winch B@$%..I mean boy... a couple times on a larger sailboat that races in Fernandina, and I remember those waters are definitely a sight to see, but you know that already. I really need to get back up there. I can't believe that I have been so close to Cumberland, but never actually made it there... I guess busy with different objectives... Wait that is why I bought a boat for myself :)

Looks like the entire island (Cumberland) is a National Seashore, so there are probably all sorts of restrictions on where one can beach, camp, have a beach fire, etc. I'll study the link a bit further to see what's what.

That in itself should tell you there is something significant about the place ;) I think there are designated camp areas where fires pits are establish/allowed. I personally am not a roughing it overnight type, I would probably go early in the morning and get the boat back on the trailer at dark (I am kind of a sissy in that regard). Worst case scenario shack up in a Fernandina hotel away from the mosquitoes.

You are less than an hour and half down the road from me, between the unexplored barrier islands of the north and the mug race, maybe we will have an excuse to sail side by side one of these days in the near future, lol. I am sure you know where some cool stuff is in the central coast and mainland as well, as you already informed me of some of the distance cruises down in the Melbourne area. I have family on the "Space Coast", so maybe some future event down there could give me an excuse to visit my "kin folk". <-- In the late and great words of Melbourne native Larry the cable guy... Thats funny right there, lol...
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:05 pm

Would love to do a trip up there, but it's kinda far for me to go just for a daysail. Would want to make it an overnighter if possible. That's cool if you're not into that, but then again, you're a lot closer. I'm actually more like 2-1/2 hrs from Amelia Island - takes me 30 mins just to get to 95.

Is that ramp at Ft. Clinch called Dee Dee Bartells? Or does Active Captain have that one wrong too? ;-P

I'll put out some feelers with the WCTSS folks and see if anyone is more familiar with small boat sailing in that area. If we were to put together a daysail and/or overnighter there, I'm sure we'd have a few other takers who also live in this corner of the universe.

My FL East Coast ICW knowledge is pretty much limited to from Daytona to Sebastian, to include Melbourne. Years ago I had a couple buddies who were live-aboards on a 41 ft Morgan OI at Eau Gallie, but they got wiped out in the '04 hurricanes. They survived, but boat was a total loss, and that wasn't funny right there ... :~(
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:40 am

Would love to do a trip up there, but it's kinda far for me to go just for a daysail. Would want to make it an overnighter if possible. That's cool if you're not into that, but then again, you're a lot closer. I'm actually more like 2-1/2 hrs from Amelia Island - takes me 30 mins just to get to 95.

I feel you. I think I make Amelia in around 30 minutes, and Maitland is about 1.5hrs. So I think 2 hours is probably about right with no construction or traffic. If you are into camping, it seems like Cumberland would be a really cool spot. But, if not Amelia is across the inlet and has a great historic downtown with many accommodations and great eats. For me, and the way the Jax is spaced out, driving to Amelia is not any different than driving to work. Both are 30 minute rides, so coming back home from there for me is easy. But if I were 2+ hours out, I would probably want to stay put for a day or two.

Is that ramp at Ft. Clinch called Dee Dee Bartells? Or does Active Captain have that one wrong too? ;-P

To be honest, around here you never really know until you make it there and read the sign. Then still I think you end up coming up with your own name for it so you can remember it. If it were up to me, I would probably call it the Fort Clinch ramp, or something along those lines. I would be willing to bet money that 90% of the people that go there regularly would recognize it by a made up name vs it's real name. Dee Dee Bartells just does not seem like something that would stick in my head for long, lol.

My FL East Coast ICW knowledge is pretty much limited to from Daytona to Sebastian, to include Melbourne. Years ago I had a couple buddies who were live-aboards on a 41 ft Morgan OI at Eau Gallie, but they got wiped out in the '04 hurricanes. They survived, but boat was a total loss, and that wasn't funny right there ... :~(

I bet you have a lot of fun on those lakes around you as well. There are a ton of them in your neck of the woods. I am sorry to hear about your buddies boat, and glad they are okay. That is not very funny right there. I thought you might catch onto the Larry the Cable Guy reference, seeing how he is from Melbourne and all, and we are Floridians.

Let me know if you ever get an itch to venture north. I think I have mentioned about a half dozen things that I at least need to go and do myself, lol. If by the time you ever do, maybe I will be a little more familiar with the "on water exploratory spots" up here.

Quick question... My dad wanted to sail on the boat, but he has pretty bad knees. I would like to provide that experience for him, but think it would be best to have very civil/calm conditions. He is in south Ocala, closest to Lake Weir. Any experiences there by chance? I imagine the St. johns river has a more demanding physical requirement on most days than sailing on lake, but could be wrong... I lack experience. To me it seems like the St Johns has a strong current, waves, and plenty of wind, and is always requiring the crew to move around and trim sheets. I am thinking the right lake could potentially provide a more relaxing cruise, with less movement (or maybe none with him). I am sure you have sailed many of the lakes in central Florida, and Ocala is so close to there that I am sure that a trip to any of them is a few minutes difference. If you know of a place that has a decent ramp and pretty calm conditions due to it's geography in the Ocala area, please share :)
DigitalMechanic

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:48 am

Well there it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MCgVfwv7c

Dee Dee Bartell's it is! I wonder who "Dee Dee" is? Maybe a nickname for Deborah or Debbie? Who knows...
DigitalMechanic

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:47 am

DM,

Cool pix of downtown Jax. I need to get back up that way. Cruised down the St. Johns about as far as Green Cove Springs as a teenager and haven't been back (on the water anyway) since. SJR is a nice sailing area.

- Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:47 am

Hey Chris! That makes for 3 (forum) Daysailers in FL!

I have lived in Jacksonville all my life, and thought I knew this place like the back of my hand. I found out that I have a lot of amazing discoveries that still need to be made out on the St. Johns river now that I have a sail boat. Maybe one day we can all get organized and put together a sail plan for the St. Johns and/or surrounding area.

How is Melbourne area sailing? I have been down to that area a lot, but never on the water there.

I met another guy via email from the DSA that lives here in Jax, but his Daysailer is down in Melbourne. Said he used to race it there. I believe his name is Mike. Do you guys know each other by chance? Do you participate in any of the racing events down there in Melbourne?
DigitalMechanic

Postby ChrisB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I would love to put together a daysail and/or overnighter on the SJR and relive some of my not-so-misspent youth! I've been intending to get up that way but haven't made it yet. Now I have a reason to head up to Jax. Seeing downtown from the water would be cool.

The Melbourne area is nice sailing. The Indian River Lagoon is about 2 miles wide and as long as you want to make it. It's shallow in many spots but nothing the DS can't glide over by lifting the board a bit. Lots of spoil islands for afternoon picnics, overnight camping or ducking behind during a passing afternoon thunder-boomer. Tim Webb, myself, and several sailors from the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron just did an overnighter on one of the islands back in November. I don't race at all, it's just not my cup of tea. Tim is the only other DS owner I know. I met him via the forum and then in person at the Florida 120

Chris

chrisbehnke"at"bellsouth.net
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:41 pm

When towing the boat, I always "pad" drive times a bit, so that's where I get my 2.5 hrs to Amelia.

Yeah, things have a way of taking on "local names" sometimes. For example: I must have gone under the SR 44 drawbridge over the SJR a dozen times before I knew it was called the Whitehair Bridge ... who knew? We just called it the 44 drawbridge ...

Yes, I've enjoyed sailing on a lot of the local lakes around here: Lake Dias is my go-to lake for the quickest "house to ramp" time. My boss lives on Lake Winnemisset and has a very rudimentary ramp, but I've splashed there a few times. Other local favorites are Lake Beresford and Lake Monroe. The latter is very big and very shallow, and can get pretty choppy, but has a very nice ramp facility and a very active sailing club, although they are mostly into racing. When I have a bit more time, once in a while I'll head up to Crescent Lake. Bit more of a drive, but well worth it, as it's a long north/south lake, so with our prevailing easterlies most afternoons, one can just go and go. Lake George is also big and shallow, and can get really gnarly. You have to launch at Astor and go 5-6 mi north from there to the Volusia Bar just to get on the lake, and on top of that half the lake is a restricted area (bombing range!). Oh: the Volusia Bar is not a drinking establishment, but rather a long "gauntlet" between two breakwater fences that lead from the mouth of the SJR into the lake.

Out west of here, I have sailed on Lake Harris a couple times - really nice ramps right off 19 and a cool little biker bar type place you can dock at for lunch. Have not yet sailed on Lake Weir - I think we had a WCTSS daysail scheduled there a year or two ago, but it got wx'ed out. Nice ramps there, too. Again, nice big round lake, so easy sailing I would think, unless it's really shallow, in which case it would fall under the same category as Monroe. But hey, by all means, I'd love to help give your Dad the chance to go sailing, so definitely if we can make that happen, let's go for it! I totally understand the wanting to only take noobs out in calm conditions: I've been doing that with our 4-year-old daughter since she was 2 ... ;-P

And Chris is right: the DS can go pretty much anywhere - that's why we loves Her so! I'm definitely down for a lower SJR daysail and/or overnighter, so let's start making some plans, eh?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for the rundown on the local lakes Tim. I might do some research on Lake Weir to find out if it is shallow/rough. I would want to pretty much set my dad in the boat, and not having to move him would be preferable, lol.

Chris, Looks like the lagoon you sail is by Indian Harbor Beach. That is where my wife grew up. She usually just says Melbourne because more people know that than "Indian Harbor". That reminds me of the more familiar to me St. Augustine area, the way the inlets are behind the barrier islands. Up here we have a swamp/marsh between our barrier islands (Jax/Atlantic/Neptune beach) for the most part. Occasionally you will see a deserted boat sitting out there in the mud, because someone did not plan their trip back in well, and got stuck when the tide went out. No bueno...

So sounds like everyone is down to make a gathering at some point... and the St. Johns seems to be what everyone is thinking. It sounds like Chris is pushing Downtown area, and Tim is pushing Palatka area? Either is easy for me, as both are close. Downtown is really close ;)

FYI... I am open to coming south (CF lakes or Melbourne) at some point as well.

I am not sure what you guys are thinking for dates, but I know the holiday season is in full swing at the moment, with family and events probably filling the weekends? Then it will actually probably get cold in January (hopefully later), and then warm back up in March (hopefully earlier, lol). Worst case scenario we might actually be planning an April gathering?

Maybe we should start small, and vote on a month and a location. Then narrow down from there?
Last edited by DigitalMechanic on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalMechanic

Postby jeadstx » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:25 pm

DigitalMechanic,

You to check out the WCTSS events that Chris and Tim do as mentioned. Also the Florida 120 in May is in the northern part of Florida.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby DigitalMechanic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up John. Hope you are doing well!

Tim did previously mention the WCTSS and Florida 120. I may join up with them at a WCTSS event if they have some day sails in the future, but as previously mentioned... I am kind of a sissy when it comes to roughing it on overnighters (unless a hotel is involved, lol).

However, I think it would be fun to setup a small daysail trip somewhere on the St. Johns with local fellow Daysailer enthusiasts.

I have read up on your Texas 200 event in places throughout the forum. Sounds like quite a sail plan. How many days do you spend on the water sailing/camping?
DigitalMechanic

PreviousNext

Return to Fleets/Locations