Sailing around Northeast Florida

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Sailing around Northeast Florida

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 pm

John, DM has already indicated that he's not into the "roughing it" thing, so we're trying to figure out something that could be a daysail for some, overnighter for others.

DM, it would definitely be after the holidays. Of course, meeting here in the middle would be easiest for me, but I'm game for wherever. As far as taking your Dad sailing, I'd be happy to take TRW to Lake Weir if that would be the easiest way to get him on a boat on the water ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Yep. I will have to really plan that one well. Not to cold, but not too hot, and very light wind so he will not have to constantly switch sides when tacking/gybing. He is 280lbs, and I am 150lbs, so I would probably need to have a third paperweight to balance everything out. That may be a spring trip.

As far as the St. Johns run, lets see what Chris has to say. The winter has been pretty mild thus far, so we may be able to pull off a January rendezvous, once the smoke clears from the holiday season. If not our spring comes back up pretty quick ;)

I really need to get some sails in prior as well. I have made a bunch of changes to the boat (will report back to the other thread once I get to sail again). I am going to try and go Sunday if I can find a crewmate, and then my brother comes home (Army) from Ft. Hood in Texas on the 18th. We have some sailing planned as well. My plan is to move up from "total noob" to "master novice" before it gets to cold to sail. But for the St. Johns, I feel like that should not be a problem for me. It is all I have sailed in my boat.
DigitalMechanic

Postby Salty Dog » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Very high on the cool meter.
Salty Dog

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Salty Dog,

I am not sure how I offended you, but let me try to un-offend you...

I have only really been sailing since July of this year. Most of that time I have spent fixing and testing the boat (many short sails that often led to coming right back in for more repairs). So, yes I am pretty inexperienced. Once the boat got to "safe/seaworthy" status, a friend and I worked on making the boat more fun to sail. That led to... and just in the last month, replacing the main sheeting, jib sheeting, vang, etc which was all probably original equipment from the 1976 inception of the boat. Unfortunately I have only sailed once since the aforementioned changes due to the rainy weather here and/or domesticated duties. So, in short what I was saying is that I need to get out and sail and get some more experience, especially now all the big changes that have been made. I have worked very hard on the boat over the past months and yes... I am excited about the progress.

If you read back through this thread a little ways, Tim, Chris, and myself were talking about setting up a daysail/weekender meet up. It is exciting to know that other Daysailer enthusiasts are in the same area, and we might possibly sail together at some point. All I was relaying is that even though I lack experience, I am comfortable with the St. Johns, as that is all I have sailed thus far... It is familiar, which is probably good for someone with my current skill set.
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Salty Dog wrote:Very high on the cool meter.

CoolMeter-hl.jpg
CoolMeter-hl.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 17498 times

:?: :?: :?: :!:

Not sure how that applies, but...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Well GL, that was random, but funny. I am now confused... but probably will not be the last time.

Maybe I took Salty Dog's statement out of context?
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:20 pm

DigitalMechanic wrote:Maybe I took Salty Dog's statement out of context?

Um, I think maybe so, unless there was a deleted post(s)? Seemed like an innocent enough remark. Maybe take it to PMs ... ?

Anyhoo, just let me know when you want to meet up at Lake Weir, and BTW, there is some interest in the CI trip on the WCTSS yahoo page, so who knows ... ?
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Probably so. Might just be a part of my past, whereas I have heard and/or used that line sarcastically in a condescending manner. If I have taken it out of context, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tim,
I will let you know about Lake Weir. I have a feeling that may be a little ways out though. I really need to plan that one out well. Maybe next spring. In the meantime I am still up for a St. Johns sail ;)

Never heard back for Chris though?
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:16 pm

I wouldn't sweat it too much - sailors tend to be easy going sorts who let a lot of stuff roll off their backs so to say ...

Oh, Chris will reply in good time. I know he's definitely interested, so we just need to pick a SJR place and date. He's two more hours south of me, so I'm sure that factor will play into any plans he might make.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:47 pm

I am sure it will. If we are proposing Palatka vs Jax...

And if I know the roads as well as I think I do, Jacksonville and Palatka are probably one in the same as far as drive time for Chris. He will have to split off at Hastings to head to Plalatka. Though it is less miles to Palatka... due to how fast I95 moves the time will be same for him to go Jacksonville or Palatka. Either way... You and I are getting off easy this time compared to him. For you, Palatka is probably about half way between you and I. Driving the backroads for either of us, if Palatka Bound, with a trailer will probably be more enjoyable. If Jax bound and I were you, I would probably consider driving up through Palatka to get here. Much better scenery anyway vs I95 ;)

I drove I95 home from around your neck of the woods, doing 65 mph in the slow lane with the trailer when I bought the boat. I think people were mad at me for going that slow, lol. The backroads seem like the place to be when one is with trailer :)
DigitalMechanic

Postby ChrisB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Guys,

I'm up for Palatka or downtown Jax.........I'll make it to both eventually! I would say late January or February as the WCTSS has the 10,000 Islands cruise the 2nd weekend in January and I don't want to miss that. It's about 2.5 hours to Jax from my house without the trailer so 3+ with it. Definitely doable.

DM, I'm very familiar with IHB but most of my sailing is south of there toward Grant

Cpb
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Agreed: the interstate can be a very unwelcoming/unforgiving place to be towing a boat, or any trailer for that matter, but sometimes it's the only really viable option. The way I see it, if I'm in the right lane and doing the speed limit, or even the minimum, anybody who has a problem with that can go <BEEP> themselves ... ;-P

For 2-3 years back in the late 90s, I was driving to Palatka, and sometimes Jax, every weekend. There's a nice "back way" to P'ka from here: 11 to 304 to 305 to 100, into San Mateo at 17, then over the SJR into town. Going straight up 17 meant too many lights and too many speed traps (Crescent City is the worst!). Once in a while I'd take 19 for a change of scenery - that is until a deer hit me! Ouch ... $$$. These daze there are a lot more traffic lights than there were then. Here to Jax? Definitely going 95 - P'ka to Jax via 17 has also just been so built up and with so many lights, that 95 is better. Same reason that 100 out of Flagler Beach would be a better way for you to get to P'ka Chris - way fewer lights along 100.

OK, gonna throw this against the wall and see if it sticks: Jan 23rd. Splash at Riverfront Park Palatka, and depending on prevailing winds, go either upstream (east) for lunch at Gator Landing (Corky Bell's Seafood), or downstream (north) to Crystal Cove for same. Any takers? If wind and wx are agreeable, I might even get my two better halves (Ilse and Ella, wifey and daughterey) to join us! ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:22 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! Though, the 17 Hour drive (without a trailer) on I-95 might be a bit too much. Besides that, I might have trouble getting the boat out of a snowbank that time of year.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby jeadstx » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Tim, I missed the part where DigitalMechanic said he didn't like roughing it. Was just trying to reinforce what you and ChrisB were saying about those two events.

DigitalMechanic, even tho you don't like roughing it, events like the WCTSS and FL120 really help you to really learn about your boat. Not to mention the being around many other sailors. The Tx200 event that I go on is usually 5 or 6 days sailing and 4 or 5 nights camping and probably requires additional "roughing it". We have one 43 mile stretch of coast where there are almost no signs of civilization. The only signs being the channel markers and passing boats. First half of the event is pretty sparten with almost no cell phone coverage except in a few spots. After Corpus Christi, signs of civilization are more frequent as is cell phone coverage. In 2015 we sailed 220 miles in 6 days.

I know Salty Dog, he's a good sailor and you would like him. He sails on Canyon Lake where I sail. We have at least three DS II's sailing the lake and I've heard there are a couple more, but don't know the owners.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Salty Dog » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

DM

I was unaware that I was Offended. You'll have to help me out here and let me know at what point it happened. The only thing I remember typing was "Very high on the cool meter" which I was referring to those beautiful pictures of the river and how cool that would be to sail on. Cool being good.

SD
Salty Dog

PreviousNext

Return to Fleets/Locations