New Here

Moderator: GreenLake

New Here

Postby Getaclew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Hello DaySailers,

I live in Portland, ME. Found an Annapolis Discoverer 18 this fall for $350 and am currently getting her ready to launch for the first time.

I'd love to hear if anyone else knows the Annapolis boat as she appears to be relatively rare.

Thanks, hope to find friends and help here!

-Joe
Getaclew

Re: New Here

Postby tomodda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi joe:

Cute nickname :) Welcome to the forum. Iv'e never heard of a Annapolis Discoverer, but O'Day licensed out the design of the Daysailer and there were many clones. This appears to be a direct clone of the the DS1, except maybe a foot longer? Poking around online, I saw some specs that list the Discoverer at 16.75' LOA, others that said 17.5'. The O'day Daysailer is 16.75, so close enough. The draft, centerboard, and mast measurements from the Discoverer were spot-on in either reference source, so I'm suspicious that the "Discoverer 18" has some marketing puffery. Anyway, I think that you will find lots of useful information here in the DS1 section of the forum.

Question - I saw a photo online of the Discoverer with a loose-footed mainsail. I think this may have been an owner modification, is yours loose-footed or a shelf-foot?

Fair winds,

Tom
tomodda

Return to Fleets/Locations