Vintage (I)

Moderator: GreenLake

Vintage (I)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 15, 1998 12:00 am

I am new to sailing. I just bought a Day Sailer and would like to learn it's history. It has a plate on the stern with the hull number 8632. It has a class number also, which I do not have handy. It does not have a hinged mast, but it has wooden trim around the cockpit. It also has wooden floorboards, and a formed space on the stern for a motor. The centerboard is controlled by a lever rather than cables (I have seen some with this feature). The storage area (pardon my ignorance if this is the wrong term) is completely open except for two small storage compartments at the very bow. I would really like to know the year of manufacture and what the designation is: DS1,DS2. I would appreciate any help.

Fred Menschel (fred-at-roadworksauto.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 15, 1998 12:00 am

Your hull number you gave is a DS II, but your description is a early DS I. You need to look for a sail number, and then check out this site:

<A HREF='http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm'>http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm</A>

We can be more help if we knew the where the boat came from. Somebody may know your boat.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 17, 1998 12:00 am

Look on the transom, starboard side. Is there a number? If so, what is it? From the Hull # I doubt there will be a number on the transom so the real key is the Class #. That will tell approximately how old the boat is. It definately sounds like an O'Day DS I.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 19, 1998 12:00 am

I checked my DS I this morning to see what the hull # was. It is 17879. My class/sail # is 3231 and I know the boat was built in 1963. It is an unsubstantiated practice but O'day has been said to have number all their hulls (Osprey, Javelin, Day Sailer, Rhodes 19, etc.) together as a group. So your hull # of 8632 would appear to mean that it was the 8632 'boat' O'Day made.

The class number of 1526 is a better indicator of how old the boat is. If you are a member of the Day Sailer class association you could contact someone who is listed as having a boat with a class/sail # near yours and ask them if they know when their boat was built.

Good Sailing!

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 21, 2001 11:10 am

Keith is correct about O'Day's original hull numbers. I had a 196(9?) O'Day Widgeon before I sold it to buy my 1979 DS II. That Widgeon had both a hull # 22698, and Class# 1791. Class # is the important number for identifying vintage of a Day Sailer (or any other O'Day). If looking at a newer O'Day (1973 or later) the Class # is still included in the Hull I.D. number, using the following format: XDYD####Myym, where D = Day Sailer, #### = Class #, M = model year format, yy = year of manufacture, m = letter for month code in model year format. HIN might also be XDYD####mmyy, where mm = month of manufacture, yy = year of manufacture. Under the model year format, A= August, B = Sept., C = Oct........E = Dec., F = Jan......L = July. for the 1979 model year this meant A = August 1978, B = Sept. 1978.......F = Jan. 1979......L = July 1979 since the model years ran August of previous year to July of the "model" year.
On boats with a Class # greater than 9999, the HIN became: XDY#####Myym-D, since the "D" for Day Sailer would no longer fit after the XDY. O'Day built the DS I from 1958/9 until 1978, the DS II from 1971-1985, and the DS III from 1986 to 1990. The DS I was built by another builder as well as O'Day for a short time around 1973 or so. The present DS, variously called DS IV or DS I, was built from 1991 to 1994 by SUNFISH/LASER, and from 1995 to present by Cape Cod Shipbuilding. Cape Cod does not use the Class # as part of the HIN, it is marked elsewhere on the boat.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 4:19 pm

OK, based on all the previous information, and trying to extract a sail number from the code I am thinking the engraved number of XDYD75030474 would mean an O'Day boat, made in April of 1974 leaving my sail number as 7503. Does that sound about right? I figured out that it was a Daysailer II on my own. The plate on the port side of the cuddy was a dead giveaway, that and the wires for the centerboard.

Mike Smith (miksmith53-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:31 pm

Mike, that sounds correct! XDY = O'Day, D = Day Sailer, 7503 = Class #, 0474 = April 1974.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to History