Vintage (II)

Moderator: GreenLake

Vintage (II)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 12, 1998 12:00 am

OK, guys, I need your help dating a boat that I have the option to buy. By the seller's description, it sounds like an O'Day DS1. The sail number is 4258, which, according to Dave Misunas' chart of hull numbers, is consistent with its being an O'Day DSI. Since O'Day DSII's started with sail number 4522 (according to the chart) I would presume that this boat was among the last DSI's built by O'Day, so it must have been built in the early 70's. Does anyone out there have a DSI with a sail number close to 4258 with a known date of manufacture who can help me pin down the age of this boat a little better? Thanks in advance.

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 13, 1998 12:00 am

Update on my posting (see above). I went to see the boat today and have more info. The manufacturer's plate reads "Made by Marscott Plastics for G.D. O'Day Assoc. Hull no. 4258, Class No. 675." If I correctly understand what I've read on other threads on this site, this means that the sail number of this boat is actually 675, making it one of the earlier DSl's. Were all the O'Day DS's made by Marscott, or is this something special (maybe even something besides a Daysailer?)Are the "three digit boats" inherently more valuable than later boats? Also, the original seats have been completely removed and replaced with simple planks. Are replacements for the original type seats available, perhaps from Cape Cod? Would appreciate any answers as I try to decide whether or not to buy this boat.

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 14, 1998 12:00 am

It is one of the original DS1's and as such I think
very a good platform to build from. The original design
used bench seating of made of mahogany planks that when
varnished are very attractive. Tell us more about your boat
and if you buy it.There are others here who may be interested in
the boat. I have hull #208.

Tom Dignam

Tom Dignam (tdignam-at-awod.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 14, 1998 12:00 am

Hmmmmmm...interesting description. I have a DSII 1976 and yesterday I saw what I thought was a DSI in a boat lift. I got nosey and found molded seats, a wooden splashrail and planked flooring. Maybe there are alot of variations on the same theme.
PS- Luv my boat!!!

Jeff (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 1999 1:00 am

MARSCOT was the original builder of the O'Day Day Sailer I for O'DAY, the Sailboat part of the company eventually became O'DAY BOATS when MARSCOT PLASTICS became more interested in Building a line of small powerboats (the Palmer Scott line, the 22' was also built as the Tripp Angler 22). O'DAY built the DS I until about 1978, along with the DS II, for die-hard racers the DS I is considered better, hence it never really went out of production. Cape Cod Shipbuilding might be able to make new wooden seats for the old DS I but pricewise............they won't be cheap! I'd try stripping any paint off the seats and re-stain and varnish if possible, I did that on my old Widgeon and it made a BIG difference!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2000 1:00 am

Another DS1 owner, Yippee! Congrats on a salty classic. I would snap that puppy up real fast if you haven't already. My DS1, "Miracle" was one of the early boats with mahogany everything. I had to build a new rudder since mine was all rotten, so I built a new one out of solid mahagony using the original as a template. It turned out nicely! Mahagony can be bought through different hardwood dealers and using the old seats you could do a template. I would love to send you some measurements for mine as well. They aren't hard to build, and besides it would be much cheaper than buying new. In my area they are getting about $5 per board foot for honduras mahagony. Let me know how it goes!

Eric J. Nelson (daysailor17-at-hotmail.com)

Return to History