O'Day Model

Moderator: GreenLake

O'Day Model

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:48 am

I am purchasing a small O'Day which is under 20'. It is located in northern Michigan and is under a tarp. I do not have a hull # but it is a fixed keel (which appears to be cast iron- rusty) and has a dagger rudder and no motor or mount. It has a very long mast for the size of the boat. I was wondering if anyone knows what model it might be and any other information about it. Thanks

John Hopson (Xylem1-at-AOL.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:37 am

This sounds like a Mariner or Rhodes 19. Length: 19' 2", Beam: 7' 0", Draft: 3' 3" (keel version).
The Mariner has a small cabin, it will have 2 berths and a small galley with no aft bulkhead on the cabin if the boat is the original Mariner model, if it is a Mariner 2+2, it will have a V-berth and 2 quarterberths (bunks that extend under the cockpit), a bulkhead at the aft end of the cockpit with a hatchway, the cockpit will have drains and be self-bailing. A later Mariner (1975-78) will have a smaller cabin house, but the same basic layout as the 2+2.
The Rhodes 19 is the daysailing version of the Mariner (well, actually..the Mariner is the cabin version of the R19, the R19 was produced 5 years or more before the Mariner) and has a Day Sailer- style cuddy.
Both boats were offered in fixed-keel and CB versions, The R19 had a "kicker-pit" molded into the aft deck to allow the outboard to be clamped to the transom, I think the early Mariners did as well. Later Mariners (2+2 and later) had the cockpit running to the stern and so the motor could be clamped right on to the transom. The sailplans for these two boats were slightly different, due to the R19 being more often used for racing, and the Mariner for family sailing.
For pictures of the R19 and Mariner, check out this website: http://www.geocities.com/odaybrochure/ this is a 1968 O'Day brochure.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:01 am

Thanks for your reply.

There are some differences which I noticed.
The boat I bought has a spade rudder with the tiller coming off the aft deck, rather than the rudder hanging off the transom, Also the transom appears to be much much smaller and would probably not accomodate an outboard.
There is no galley, only v berth, and the bulkhead is open.
I wish I had more information, I was only told that it is an O'Day 19, and it looks really fast! Thanks for your help!

John (Xylem1-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:50 am

Well, if the boat has an inboard rudder, that eliminates the Mariner/R19. It is not an "O'DAY 19", since that model never had a fixed-keel or inboard rudder, it is not an O'DAY 192 either, that had a keel/cb and outboard rudder. I'm not aware of any O'DAY under 20' that has a fixed-keel and an inboard rudder. My best guess would be an O'DAY Tempest, but that model was 23' long and the tiller was inside the cockpit. This may be a boat that was built for George O'Day Associates, and sold by them, but was not actually an "O'DAY". I thought that maybe this might be a Sailstar Voyager, but that boat had a broad transom with plenty of room for the outboard, or a Sailstar (or Bristol) Corinthian...but that design has a full-keel with attached rudder. Another possiblity is a Cape Cod Shipbuilding "Gauntlet", but that doesn't have a V-berth, and again it has a wide transom. A picture might help, if you can get one.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:28 pm

The boat I bought turned out to be a 21' O'Day sailboat. It measures 16.5' at the waterline. The serial # on the plate is 22732 and the class # is 15. I can't locate any information about this model at all. It's completely different than anything I've seen in the O'Day catalogues. Can you help me? It has a cast iron keel and a fin rudder, and the tiller comes off the aft deck. There is no lip at the aft deck to mount a motor and no motor well. It has Procter spars and was built in Mass. It appears to be in excellent shape and everything looks fairly new, including the sails. It is a fractional rig with the mast stepping on top of the small cuddy rather than on the keel. The rigging is also perplexing me because it has internal halyards and I can't see where to cleat off the main or the jib: where there should be a main halyard cleat there is instead a strange hook fixture hanging down and where you might find the jib halyard cleat there is simply a thin metal leaf- some sort of a spring? Also the mast foot sits loosely in the seat on the cabin and there are two bolts through the seat which trap the mast foot, but very loosely. I seem to be missing the traveler block and the corresponding block at the end of the boom.

John (Xylem1-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:33 pm

The boat I bought turned out to be a 21' O'Day sailboat. It measures 16.5' at the waterline. The serial # on the plate is 22732 and the class # is 15. I can't locate any information about this model at all. It's completely different than anything I've seen in the O'Day catalogues. Can you help me? It has a cast iron keel and a fin rudder, and the tiller comes off the aft deck. There is no lip at the aft deck to mount a motor and no motor well. It has Procter spars and was built in Mass. It appears to be in excellent shape and everything looks fairly new, including the sails. It is a fractional rig with the mast stepping on top of the small cuddy rather than on the keel. The rigging is also perplexing me because it has internal halyards and I can't see where to cleat off the main or the jib: where there should be a main halyard cleat there is instead a strange hook fixture hanging down and where you might find the jib halyard cleat there is simply a thin metal leaf- some sort of a spring? Also the mast foot sits loosely in the seat on the cabin and there are two bolts through the seat which trap the mast foot, but very loosely. I seem to be missing the traveler block and the corresponding block at the end of the boom. There are no seats! You stand in the cockpit and lean on the rails. There are two boards that cross the cockpit that can be moved to anyplace up and down the length of the cockpit but they don't look very comfy for cruising! The cuddy is very small with a little "bubble" of a cabin and the forward end is a bulkhead with a hatch door. The stern is also a sealed bulkhead with another bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit with a hatch for storage. The rudder stem can be seen behind that aft bulkhead.I can post a picture of the boat tomorrow when I get the prints back.

John (Xylem1-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:11 pm

AHA! What you have is a "YNGLING", a 21' (20' 11") racing class-boat that O'DAY was the official builder of in the early 1970's. The boat is a smaller version of the SOLING class racing boat. The Yngling is still actively raced, and is still being built (not by O'Day). The designer was Jan Linge, who also designed the Soling, and originated in Denmark. The numbers that you mention, Hull# and Class#, indicate that this boat was the 22732nd boat built by O'DAY, and the 15th YNGLING. I think it was built in 1969, since the hull# is very close to the hull# of my old Widgeon which was built in late 1968 or early 1969. My Widgeon was O'Day Hull# 22698.
The YNGLING has an active class-association (I would think?) and so a search for their web-site would lead to answers for your questions. Good Luck!

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:35 pm

http://usa.yngling.org/index2.html

Return to History