anchor types and weight

Moderator: GreenLake

anchor types and weight

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:28 pm

I did a search on this site on anchor types and weights, and only found a bit of stuff on permanent mooring anchors. I am interested in hearing what others are using for a temporary anchor. I am using a 10 pound mushroom at the end of an 8 pound chain, and store all of that and 100' of rode in a plastic bleach jug (with cutout) in the cuddy. I hope to acquire another anchor, likely, the same weight, but perhaps a different style, so that I have options in different bottoms.

Looking forward to your responses.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:00 am

When I had my Hobie 16, I purchased a folding anchor from Murrays Marine. It only weighs around 5 pounds and I keep it in a canvas bag with 50 feet of line.

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:55 pm

Assuming what you want is an anchor to be carried in the boat and not for permanent mooring, best would be a small "Danforth" type, which will dig in to sand or mud. I believe standard reccomendation for line is 5 to 7 times depth of water to get a good set, so 100' of line might be good for about 20'depth of water, or so, depending upon current or wind load at the time.

West Marine catalog shows a "knock-off" of the danforth by "SeaFit" as their economy anchor, at 3#,4#,and 9#, from $9 to $15. You might get by with the #4. They are a bit difficult to stow, best to check out the size as to what you want to carry and what's available in marine stores in your area. .... I wouldn't rely much at all on the small mushroom, maybe only to keep from drifting in very calm conditions; best to have a danforth type on board for "emergencies", what ever that might be.

John C. Jr (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:20 am

West Marine and others have a small folding anchor that is perfect for the daysailor. It weighs 8-10 lbs. and has 4 "teeth" that fold to store. It is iron and is galvanised so as not to rust.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:54 pm

Does anyone use a Navy Type anchor? This would fit easiest in a bucket, together with chain and rode

I know from research over the past few days that the Danforth type are likely best for holding power, but are a bit more difficult to store due to their size, albeit, they are flat. The one I was looking at yesterday was 19 inches long and 14 across for a 10#er.
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous