Setting up a new trailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Setting up a new trailer

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:34 pm

Hello all,

I have an old DS1 that I am rebuilding. My old trailer was rotten and I had to replace it. I was given an almost new Karavan 1000lb trailer. I was able to move the boat but thetongue weight is way out of control. It seems that the boat fits well. Only about 8 inches over the back of the trailer. I know that I can lower the tongue weight by pushing the boat back on the trailer. The position of the axel is not adjustable. How far does the back ofyour boats over hang the trailer? Is there anyone in Connecticut that has a DS1 on a trailer I could look at to get ideasd?

Thanks in advance for all fo your help. I am also looking for some sails.

David K (vwcar98-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:54 pm

My DS II hangs 28 inches over the last back roller on my EZ loader trailer. It has 225 pounds on the tongue, with a 500# rated hitch on my Ford Ranger. This would typically be a bit much for a regular vehicle, but with no other weight in the box of my truck, I need that weight to get traction off of the ramp.

I tried to lighten the tongue weight by moving the winch post back about 18 inches, but I didn't like how the rollers were flexing the boat. Too much weight hanging off the back of the trailer.
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous