Resident clutz

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Resident clutz

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Garry, collarbone is weird. Also something you can't splint, so until the callus forms around the fracture and stabilizes it there are some moments . . .

Ended up having to work on range and strength in the affected arm, but glad to say that by no later than 5 months after I was able to raise the mast again. (Might have been able to eve a bit earlier, but season hadn't started for the DS). By about 3 months I was crewing on a friend's keelboat for an easy race in light winds. Most difficult thing was stepping onto the boat as it requires holding onto a stay and a support on the dock to make a big step. Using both arms like that in opposite directions wasn't on the menu yet, so we had to improvise.

My advice: avoid potholes (and ladders) :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:40 pm

GL very good advice. years ago around 1984 I was skiing in South Lake Tahoe (lived out there then) was trying to get a final run in before closing, took a slight shortcut, caught a edge on a mougle, was not going fast, down I went landed on my L shoulder rolling it up. the head was broke in 5 places. it doesn't function well today, no splint just a sling or let it hang, surgery was really not a option, to many pieces and to small, so understand the difficulty in using a healing bone.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:07 pm

I had to give up skiing. Too much brute force and not enough skilled technique made it unsafe. Added weight and loss of flexibility didn't help. Miss the days of fearless skiing as a kid, though. Good memories.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous