Where can I purchase a DaySailer?

Moderator: GreenLake

Where can I purchase a DaySailer?

Postby rayofash » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:18 pm

I live in San Diego California, there are a lot of boats around here, but from I can tell, no DaySailer's. I have been searching google, and I can hardly find anything on DaySailers at all, let alone anything in my area.

Also, I am completely new to boating, what should I be looking for in a DaySailer?
rayofash

california fleets

Postby Roger » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:04 pm

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - ARIZONA REGION

Contact Ralph Middleton (818) 368-1540 Rnmidd@aol.com
Fleet 20 - Los Angeles, CA
Fleet 128 - California Central Coast
Roger

Postby boone » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:49 am

We have one San Diego member of the Day Sailer Association that you could contact. He used to be a regular on the forum. His name is Barry and the email is bkelleher{at}sandiego.com.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Len » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:50 am

I found and bought mine on EBay about a month ago, but had to go about 250 miles to pick it up from the seller. You might want to keep an eye on the EBay listings for boats in your area so that if you find one, you can check it out in person. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a boat without being able to check it out in person, but the seller was very honest about the condition of the boat and trailer and provided plenty of pictures.

Good Luck...
Len
DS6572
Len

Postby wharfside » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:51 am

I too purchased mine sight unseen on eBay
I did go look at two boats before that (1 precision & 1 O'Day) but lost out on those auctions
keep a watch on eBay or contact local fleets
check around yards with lots of trailered sailers - they are out there 8)
1992 Sunfish Laser Daysailer #14002
1984 26' Bertram Sport Convertible
2004 12' Carolina Skiff
wharfside

San Diego Day Sailer

Postby BKelleher » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:48 pm

RayO,
I have been in San Diego for almost 15 years and have seen (1) (only once) and heard about one other "true" O'Day Day Sailers in that time. I just don't think there are, or were great numbers out here. ((I just remembered another that got shipped to Japan) make that 3)

If you are new to sailing there are great resources at Harbor Island and Mission Bay Sailing Centers for lessons. The Coast Guard also offers Sailing and Seamanship classes at several of the local yacht clubs. If you really are interested visit the clubs and put your name up as available novice crew. You may get exposure to the racing experience at the "Beer Can" races in San Diego bay or in the smaller boats they sail out of Mission Bay Y.C. Either way have fun and welcome! I hope to see another DS sail out there soon.
BKelleher

Return to Miscellaneous