Wind Speed

Moderator: GreenLake

Wind Speed

Postby psness » Thu May 05, 2005 4:26 pm

I am very much a novice and am into the routine of watching the forecasted wind speeds every weekend. I am trying to get a handle on wind speed and sailing conditions for my DSII. Based on the very few times I've been out, I'm thinking 3-7 mph is good enough for leisure sailing and anything over 10 mph you'd better know what you're doing. Based on this, the 3-7 range is somewhat rare in my area, seems it's usually dead air or greater than 10. Any other thoughts on this?
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

skeptical

Postby Roger » Fri May 06, 2005 7:30 pm

I too am skeptical about anything over 12, but I have a new set of reefing points that I haven't tried yet, so I am looking forward to venturing out in 12 to 15 with the reef in. Without it, I find myself fighting the boat all the time, and occasionally taking on water over the leeward quarter, It has never gotten any worse than that, so I think I have my confidence with this boat. I have also installed a guzzler pump on the front of the transom to pump out any water. Before, this was a two handed operation, as the pump was portable, but now I can do that with one hand only, steer with the other, and hope I don't have to uncleat the sheets while I am single handing. I am also going to practice going into a hove to position so that I can take a break under such conditons. I think the big thing though is getting confidence in your boat and knowing its limits for various conditions on your lake. It looks like you have a good sense of that already for comfortable sailing, now you have to see how far you can COMFORTABLY push the envelope, and decide on if and when you want to. For me I can enjoy it for short periods, but not all day. I want to get comfortable with it though, so that I can reach my home ramp through rough waters/higher wind, instead of beaching on a windward shore and getting the boat home later, (usually after a long walk).

Although I started sailing 25 years ago. I stopped for a good 16 years and only recently got back into it with a DSII, slightly longer than my first 8' Sabot and my second 12' Petrel dinghy. I still consider myself a novice in many respects.
Roger

Wind Speed

Postby gary l. britton » Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm

I have an older DS I, 1966. Sail in Oklahoma and 3-7mph is basically unheard of. Most of the time we have speed of 10-20 mph. Trust me, I am not that great a sailor but the boat will handle well with these wind speeds. It is the gusts of over 20 mph that can do you in, in a flash. Luckily, I have not capsized, although came close several times. the trick is to be sure and not leave the main sheet unattended. Be ready at all times, within a split second to let the main out and spill the wind out of the sail. Reefing is good and know when you need to reef, based on your abilities and comfort zone. I usually reef when the winds are in the 15 mph range and the boat handles very well, but again I cannot over imphasize the need to be ready to let the main sheet out when the gust hits you, and the jib also if needed. The DS will probably broach before one will capsize and do not fight it. I have a reefing claw, purchased last year, but due to problems beyond my control I have not been able to try it out in higher winds. I do consider myself a little bit of a wimp when the winds are, or are forcast to be over 20, because that means, at least around here that the gusts will be in the 25-30 range, and I just stay home or have a little picnic on the beach.

Do not be afraid to at least try out the boat and your skills in higher winds, and with time you will be surprised that you can handle them with a lot more confidence.

Gary
"Dancing girls II"
gary l. britton

Postby Phill » Mon May 23, 2005 12:34 am

I agree with Gary. Try not to cleat the main except for briefly getting a better grip. The larger rachet blocks like the Harken II +2 do a very good job helping you hold the tension. Upwind at the first sign of healing, ease the main, then let the boat come up a little while you retrim the main. "EASE, HIKE, TRIM" is the mantra. This will help you keep you r speed up, and that will result in better boat control. Downwind, dont run directly downwind, instead broad reach and " Chicken Jibe" (slowly head up and tack) and then resume broad reaching.
The DS is a very forgiving design. With a little more experience the 13-20 winds will not be as scary and you can enjoy your sailing days without the dreaded 'high wind goblin' hiding under the cuddy.

Keep ur sails dry.
Phill

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon May 23, 2005 12:48 pm

Wow, Gary, you're a lucky dude to have that kind of wind all the time!

My '60 DS handles 10-30 very well, albeit a little overpowered w/out reefing. I think my boat does well in higher wind partly because of a pre-tensioned mast. The previous owner did a fine job of tuning the rig to fit the racing sails, but it works well with my cruising set, too. Basically, a tight rig will enable more efficient sailing to weather, which really counts when it's blowing hard.

Question: the previous owner of my boat claimed he's had her planing in 30+ wind, which I find hard to believe. Anyone planing out there?

I was out a couple of weeks ago in 15-22 mph wind with my wife and two young kids. Was thoroughly enjoyable. Have to work on getting reefing points installed, though!

Peter
Peter McMinn

Return to Miscellaneous