Tipping the Daysailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Tipping the Daysailer

Postby PDuckX » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:08 pm

I have seen posts in the past on the subject of tipping or turtling the daysailer and thought I would give a little input from my experience last night.

The wind was blowing quite a bit, 17-20 sustained with gusts up to 27 that I saw. Now this is a bit out of my comfort range, but the other boats where out and I thought what the heck it could be a learning experience. Heading up wind was quite a work out, but fairly un-eventful. We rounded the a bouy that we were using as the weather mark (the RC hadn't set out the buoys at this point) and begun to head downwind at a pretty good clip. I then prepared to Jibe when the fun began.

I don't know what happened exactly, but it was all the right combinations to send the boat over. I'm not sure if it was my limited experience, crews inexperience, a gust of wind or what. All I know is we started to go over and from my experience in a 505 (as crew), I knew we were going over. I released the main, but it was too late and I felt the boat continue to roll. Fortunately I had discussed with my crew just before going out that if we do happen to go over, go for the tip of the mast to keep it from going under. When we hit the point of no return I jump out in the water an grabbed the end of the mast. My crew swam out and around and got up on the center board. I then swam aroung to the center board and we waited for the boom to point straight down and the boat slowly righted. Unfortunately we had so much water (up to the top) and the water was so choppy we had to take the tow back in to begin the bailing. We hoped the wind would die a bit but it didn't, so we decided to watch all the thistles and europes as they took turns inspecting the bottoms of thier boats. I don't know if they even got one race in because the RC boats where on full time rescue.

So I guess I have one question, what is the proper procedure to Jibing in stiff wind. Do I need to make the movement slowly or quicker or do I let the main out as I make the turn?
I have been sailing the Daysailer for almost a year now and this was by far the most wind I been in yet.

I must mention that because of this web site I was prepaired for situation and we did not hesitate one bit. So, I thank everyone for that.
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

Rule one... don't!

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am

If the wind is too stiff to gybe downwind, head back upwind, tack, then back downwind on the other tack. By going head to wind in a 360 you avoid the accidnetal and uncontrolled gybe.

Now in less hairy conditions, the procedure is to have the wind slightly off, dead down wind, so that it is coming over one of the aft quarters. Watch for wind shifts, and gybe only during a lull. When you are ready to gybe pull in the main as close to center as possible, then slowly move the boom over your head so that the wind comes on it on the other side. Keep the sheet tight. Manage the tiller to absorb the shock, then steer to have the wind come over the new aft quarter, or broad reach. Let out the main slightly to prevent an accidental gybe if the wind shifts. Sit well back in the cockpit to keep the stem from digging in, and pitch poling you, as you describe.
Roger

Postby Phill » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:27 am

Hi Andy,
Sorry about your swim. :?
When the wind is a bit scary, I use a jibe called an "S" jibe. Get the boat up to full speed, this will reduce the pressure on your sails and make the jibe more controlable. After you are up to speed, pull in about one arms length of mainsheet (do not cleat), while you steer into the jibe. ( here's the important part--) When the boom crosses the centerline, reverse the helm so that you steer a shallow 'S' course briefly. This will help you counter the new pressure when the sail fills on the new side. Use your arm as a shock absorber to lessen the shock at the end of the booms travel. Just remember it is only a slight and tempory course correction, or you will find yourself jibing right back to your origial course.

With a little practice in medium conditions, this is a very stable way to jibe in lots of wind. Just remember, never force any jibe until you get the boat up to top speed. If you pull on the boom and there is lots of pressure, delay the manuver until you feel less pressure on the mainsheet.

phill 8)
Phill

Return to Miscellaneous