Help!

Moderator: GreenLake

Help!

Postby Mike M. » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:57 am

I just bought an O'Day Day Sailer, HIN 20705, model # 3780. The title that came with it says it is a "1969 O'Day Sailor V 17'-0"." Being new to the DS world, I'm not sure the title is correct. And, the guy I bought it from wasn't very helpful with instructions on rigging it. I've downloaded the original DS rigging instructions but I think this boat has been modified somewhat and the rigging isn't original. The boat was previously docked at Lake Hefner according to a sticker on the side so I'm assuming someone there owned and sailed it there. For the past four years or so, it's belonged to someone else who only sailed it a few times on Lake Thunderbird, near Norman.

Can anyone help me figure out exactly what I have from the HIN? (DS I, II, III)

Are there some websites that will show me some different riggings used on that model? Some of the diagrams I've looked at are confusing.
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

Looks Right

Postby PDuckX » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:40 pm

I have DS 3056 and your HIN looks about right for your boat number. I would say you have a DS I. If you take a few minutes and surf around on this site you will find some photos (mostly the DS I) to see which type you have for sure. If the opening to the cuddy is completely open around seats and centerboard housing it is a DS I. If the cuddy opening is partially enclosed you most likely have a DS II, but I personally have only seen one of those, so I am no expert. The Hull index number chart indicates that if your number is correct it is a DS I.
Spend some time on this site and you will find almost all the information and photos you need to rig this boat. That is how I did it. Also try and find some fellow DaySailers in your area. I found everyone to be quite nice and very helpful.

Have fun with your new boat.
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

Thanks!

Postby Mike M. » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:08 pm

So it's the model number (3780) and not the HIN (20705) that the chart refers to. I guess I should have been able to figure that out, huh? It's definitely a DS I then and you're right on about the the opening. I thought it was, thanks, Andy for clarifying that for me. I'll be on the lookout for daysailers in my area.

Fair winds.
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

contact me

Postby gary l. britton » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:25 pm

Mike M.

I also have a DSI at Lake Hefner. Serial #17448, model #3235. Fire me an e-mail and maybe we can get together sometime and maybe I can help you with your rigging. I hope to be out at the lake tomorrow Friday, Aug.26) in the morning. Probably have to bail out the boat from the recent rains and hopefully I can take a boat ride around the lake before the wife gets home in the afternoon.

Have fun with your new DSI. It is a good boat and fun to sail.

Fair winds

Gary
1966, DSI
Dancing Girls II
yukonterr-at-yahoo-dot-com
gary l. britton

Return to Miscellaneous