Motors

Moderator: GreenLake

Motors

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 1997 12:00 am

I use a 3 HP long-shaft on my DS, which I mounted on a bracket. The bracket was made of a piece of mast - about 8 inches long with an aluminum plate at each end. One end is bolted to the transom, the other had a piece of wood attached to it to become the base for the motor. It works well.

I agree that motors are a nuisance, but they sure are handy in sudden squalls or dead air. Being a purist is nice, but not always practical (or safe).

A long-shaft model is best. I tried a short-shaft, but when going forward to pick up my mooring bouy, the cooling water intake came out of the water. Not good for a motor.

Terry Sylvia (tsylvia-at-capecod.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 1997 12:00 am

Terry, please tell me a few things. What does a three Hp. motor weigh? Does it unballance the boat when it is on the leeward side? Do you have an outside gas tank or a built in one? What is the range. Any idea of what the additional annual costs are? I am trying to make up my mind about buying a motor.

Steve

Steve Max (75264.125-at-Compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 1997 12:00 am

Answers to your questions. I recently added a Yamaha 3 HP Long Shaft Outboard Motor to my 1986 Daysailer 3. The motor is a two stroke with an integrated .37 gallon gas tank. At half throttle (5 to 6 knots) a full tank of gas lasts about an hour. The motor is 38.5 lbs. This particular motor has neutral and forward with 360 degree steering. Some times when backing, the water discharge goes into the bilge. With the shaft not quite vertical, when the motor is mounted to the transom, there is little conflict with the rudder. When manuevering in tight situations, I float the boat rudder and steer by using the motor.

Barry

Barry Wright (wrightbr-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 1997 1:00 am

Thanks Barry,

I hadn't realized that a motor could be that light. Have you any idea how far below the bottom of the boat the motor extends? In Cape Cod Bay we have a large drop in the tide and streches of very low water at times.

Steve

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 1997 1:00 am

Response to Steve Max regarding OB Motors. The anticavitation plate should be between the bottom of the boat and 1" below the bottom of the boat. This will require 10" of water below the bottom of the boat. The bottom of my motor is 13" below the boat bottom while the motor is installed midway between the port side and the rudder. When you start looking for a motor, consider the distance from the clamp bracket to the bottom of the motor (Yamaha 3 HP is 30 3/4"), the anticavitation plate and the water intake. Also consider availability of shallow water trim positions on the motor you are looking at. Domestic brand motors do not have a neutral gear position below 5-6 HP. Consider service availability for each make and model.
Barry

Barry Wright (wrightbr-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 01, 1998 1:00 am

Hey guys!!! Forget about gas motors!!! I bought a cheapy Minn_kota @ K-mart for <$100 and put the battery in the stern well. It's light, has 2 speeds reverse and 4 forward and works great. Clamps right to the transome and can throw it in the cuddy with one hand. If I turtle and lose it...not a major expense. Can do about 5 knots and is great for getting in out of my lift. Also great on "dead" days!!! Runs a long time on a full charge!!

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Return to Miscellaneous