bunk length and width? Upgrading trailer

Moderator: GreenLake

bunk length and width? Upgrading trailer

Postby calden » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Hey all:

I just bought parts to convert my roller trailer to a bunk support system.

What is the ideal length and width of supports. and what is the ideal placement?
2x4? 2x6?
8'? 6'?

I'd like them to conform to the hull shape as much as possible. The l-brackets pivot somewhat on the bolts, so the angle will take care of itself.

Thanks,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

look down inside

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:41 pm

I'm not sure if the DS I floor is the same as the DS II floor, but I can look down inside my inspection ports and see glassed in longitudinal stringers. If you can see these, measure how far away from the centerline they are. There are actually two sets on each side of the cb trunk, one I know is at about the same place as the seat front, the other is in line with the inspection ports. Feel around down there and you will find them. You will want to line up your 2 x 6 bunks along these supports for maximum support to the hull without potentialy deforming it, although I had short 2 x 4 bunks and that was not a big issue. I don't think they matched up with the stringers. send me an email and I will send you pictures of my original bunks, and the bilge of the DS II. roger02 at mts dot net
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous