Brand New to Sailing

Moderator: GreenLake

Brand New to Sailing

Postby shoebox303 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Jordan and I've recently decided that, when I finish my degree, my wife and I should move to a Northwest state (perhaps Washington?), buy a sailboat, and cruise the coast with our dog Banjo on the weekends. It's very exciting, but clearly requires that we learn to sail. In light of that, we've decided to start on area lakes (Central IL) with a Daysailor.

So, you all are the experts, and I have extremely limited knowledge. Any good books? Videos? Instructors in the area? Other advice in general? Please don't hold back, but be kind in light of my ignorance, which will soon be remedied via the fabulous Daysailor.org website!

Thanks in advance for the help. I know by reading the other entries that I'm in good company here!

ps...No need for premature concern for my wellbeing, I don't have a boat yet!
shoebox303

Learning

Postby captainseasick » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:22 am

Steve Colgate has sailing schools that can save you years of trial and error
J-World instruction is also a wonderful experience that compresses years of knowledge into a few days of sailing. These schools are in several resort locations, You might want to spend a few days at one of them, I never met anyone who tried it that regretted it, or thought it wasn't worth the expense.
The biggest lesson you will learn is that you must work with what you have in the way of wind, current and sea room. If you are the kind of person who must have complete control, you will not enjoy sailing. Light air sailing can be as technical as a chess match, and heavy air sailing can be anything between exhilarating to frightening, but being on the water under sail is always a learning experience. You can learn to sail a small boat in a few hours, but it takes a lifetime to become expert. Good luck.
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby calden » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Jordan:

I'm in much the same position as you. I've sailed for several summers in a little tiny Sunfish on a small mountain lake, teaching myself some technique. Although this sounds very limiting, I've gained a real seat-of-the-pants approach to feeling wind and heel and sheet and tiller and hiking out, totally from the ground up. I bought a Daysailer last fall and due to various complications have not sailed it yet. Waiting for Spring!!!

I second Seasick's advice to attend a sailing school or at least a class or two - you can get up to speed much faster than I did in the Sunfish.

I've checked out every book in our local library system about sailing. Any book will be sufficient, but there are a couple that are very readable and very clear. The problem with sailing books is that SO MUCH of sailing is done by feel - wind, gravity, waves, balance, sheet tension - that learning about sailing from a book is like learning piano technique from a description of music theory.

First book is THe Complete Sailor by David Seidman. It's a good introduction to all things sailing, has good pictures, and has the clearest explanation of heaving-to that I've seen in a book yet. I would recommend buying it now. It's something you'll always have in a library.

The second is about dealing with boat repair and maintenance. If you buy a used DS you'll need to know about refinishing wood, fixing fiberglass, painting, attaching various doodads to the mast and boom, etc. etc. It's part of the fun. So go look at This Old Boat by Don Casey. It's well written with a LOT of humor, and is encyclopedic in scope. The drawings and diagrams are crude, almost childilke, but sufficient and oddly add to the charm of his writing.

If you only read these two books and no others (well, also buy ROger Conrad's DS-specific manual - - he's on this forum) you'd learn a lot about sailing and owning a boat, and wouldn't need to get anything else for a long time.

My opinion only, hope it helps.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

New to sailing

Postby captainseasick » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:12 pm

One last thing to advise,
Sailing is mostly about reading the wind! Despite the fact that it is invisible, you will soon feel it's its strength and direction on your face. You will see the puffs in the ripples, you will learn to hold your course steady relative to the wind direction, You will learn to ease or harden up the sheet to keep a constant wind angle to the sails for a chosen direction. You will learn that the wind is a silly thing, that simply won't blow steadily from the same direction from minute to minute, so just when you have everything set and working correctly, the darn wind will change, and you will need to re-adjust. Remember, every degree you change the direction you are going, will change the sails angle of attack to the wind. Everything in sailing begins and ends with understanding the relationship of the wind to the sails!
Have lots of fun, and try to pick a single direction and stay on it till you have things working well. Every change in direction requires a new sail setting, especially up wind.
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Re: Brand new to sailing

Postby Felix Graham-Jones » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Jordan,
Certainly the unpredictability of the wind is one of the more humbling parts of becoming a competent sailor. However, the part of your proposal that worries me the most is that you apear to have decided upon a plan that had better be well founded upon a joint agreement with your wife. Until she has had a chance to sample and enjoy the briny life and sign on as first mate, your plans aren't going no place, skip.
Fair winds and following seas, my friend.
Felix
BTW the O'Day DaySailor is a great boat to learn on, and once you get the hang of it, very kind to solo sailors.
Felix Graham-Jones

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:58 pm

I must second Felix's point. Sailing WITH your wife is a lot more fun than sailing withOUT her (not that I've ever sailed with your wife!)

Jordon, the sailing in Washington is fantastic, but if you do choose the DaySailer and start thinking about your move, I hope you'll consider Oregon. There are DS fleets in Eugene and Portland with lots of very friendly members who are ready to help and learn right along with you!

Best of luck!
Peter McMinn

Postby calden » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:25 pm

Jordan:

When I bought my Daysailer I was looking not only in my area - Eastern Washington State - but also in the greater Seattle area (4.5 hours away) and Portland (5.5 hours away, at least the way I drive.) I support Peter's contention about the friendliness and helpfulness of the Portland people. It's simply a more laid-back city compared to Seattle in many ways, and I found this to be true in making calls about Daysailers to both areas in looking for mine.

If you do have the flexibility to evaluate where to go, definitely do check out Portland before Microsoft and Starbucks relocate there and ruin the place. Then, after you move,keep it a secret. I'm only telling you because you're a sailor-type.

Portland's on my list of where to move when I win the lottery, right up there with Burlington, VT, Vancouver BC, and Shanghai, China.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby KHFlanagan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:00 pm

Probably everyone you talk to has an opinion on your plans, but someone reminded me last year about priorities in sailboat racing, and I think they also apply to sailboat cruising.

1. Be safe.
2. Have fun.
3. Sail fast.

I suggest that you and your wife sign up for a boating safety class this winter. It is a good way to learn to be prepared, learn from others experiences, and also to meet other folks interested in boating. There is probably a Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron unit in your area that offers classes.

Best wishes with your adventure!
Kevin
Columbus, OH
KHFlanagan

Great stuff!

Postby shoebox303 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I should first state that my lovely and patient wife is just as excited as I am to learn the art of sailing! I wouldn't go without her!

Secondly, we've recently signed up for a "Public Boating Safety" course and also located a local Sailing club. Although not exclusivley Daysailers, the members there seem willing and excited to take on the job of teaching us to sail...no small task!

Thanks again for all the tips...please keep them coming as you thing of them!

Jordan
shoebox303

Postby michaelyogi » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:40 am

Oregon or Washington??? What a question to ponder!! I think I'd still go for Washington just because of it close proximity to Canada and the inland waters. The sailing waters in the greater Washington area are almost too big to explore in one lifetime.
How about Chapmans for the overall boating tome. Covers lots of ground that might be good for the entire world of boating. Rather large, sometimes kinda' dry and it is rather expensive. The only reason I mention this is that not only are we learing to sail, but we are also learning boat handling, meteorology, navigation...the list goes on and on.
Good luck, and fair winds. Also welcome to the Pacific Northwest!! Just be sure to tell all your friends it rains alot here...
michaelyogi

and don't forget

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:43 am

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship. It's up there with Chapman's as a classic for every library.
Roger

Postby sunapeesailor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:53 am

Royce's Sailing Illustrated is a must have...great reference and portable! Has been referred to as the Sailor's bible almost since it's first edition in 1956!

...Oregon, Washington, Burlington...each sounds great! Fairwinds!

[thumb=270]
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Postby Donal » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:34 am

How about a good coffee table book? You know, one with plenty of pictures, that a guest will pick up & look at, but not be engrossed in for too long.
I'm making a list of books as suggestions for my next birthday. My wife was asking about books that could go on a coffee table.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby calden » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:11 am

West Marine catalogue makes a great coffee table book. TONS of pictures.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Miscellaneous