Drain Plug

Moderator: GreenLake

Drain Plug

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 30, 1999 12:00 am

I am new to sailing and I am enjoying my "new" '82 Day Sailer I, but I was wondering what the drain plug is for that is located just beneath the mast. I don't want to remove it while in the water unless I know what will happen? Is this an area that may need to be pumped out? Thanks for any information.

Tim Otis (tim-at-otis.mv.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 30, 1999 12:00 am

If your '82 model DS is a DS1 then it was made by Spindrift as O'Day was only making DS2's in '82. I have an '84 Spindrift DS1 and I think the plugs (mine has 2) you mentioned are designed to drain the seat/bow/side air tank in the event that water gets in. Mine had some water and little specs of styrofoam last time I opened them. I think I had left a plug off while sailing and my leaky CB gasket let enough water in the floor of the boat to start seeping in... Maybe Gus or Bob know more as they also have Spindrift DS1's.

By the way, these, like your outside drain plug in back are standard issue Laser plugs in case you ever lose one.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, Texas
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Jun 30, 1999 12:00 am

If you boat is indeed a Rebel/Spindrift (11XXX series hull numbers) then Kevin is right, the plug leads to the tanks underneath. (What is your hull ID? - It's stamped into the transom on the starboard side and probably begins with "RRR" the numeric part of it is the hull number) I have had water get in there in the past and the best way I have found so far of removing it is to rest the boat trailer on it's tongue so that the boat is pitched forward. All the water inside will run forward. I opened up the plug on the keelson and inserted a plastic tube duct taped to my wet/dry shop vac hose. I suctioned out as much opf the water as I could get. I'm afraid there may a still be somewater in there. I'd like to get it all out.

Some Spindrift's, like Kevin's, have an inspection port in the forward air tank. If you have one you might take it off and look inside.
-Bob Hunkins
DS 11750
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2001 9:07 am

I was reading your message on the internet concerning the drain plugs under the mask on a spindrift. I just bought the same boat and could not figure out what they were for... I also am leaking water.. usually get about 2 inchs under the mask with in 30 mins of being in the water.. then it stops.... any ideas....

Jerry Reynolds (golffanaugusta-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 01, 2001 8:34 pm

Is your centerboard pivot gasket leaking? Try tightening the 3 screws that hold the lever in place (on triangle metal piece). A new gasket is available from Cape Cod Shipbuilding, or from the DSA.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous