Going electric?

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Going electric?

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Common pattern around here is a good wind that takes me all the way out, then a calm, followed by building wind.

I've learned to not be concerned about the lack of wind, because if I try to motor home, I usually don't get there until right around the time the wind comes back. And I sail so much faster than I can motor....

So, I have learned that taking a nap is the best strategy for this common situation. :D

There are some exceptions; when I recognize that things don't fall into a pattern, I do use the trolling motor, and so far, I've not reached the end of its range.

The wind pattern described has to do with a sea-breeze building late in the afternoon, it's a dependable feature for certain weather patterns.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 am

Yes, knowing your local wind pattern and taking good nap sounds good.

One of the wind patterns that I've noticed on Winnipesaukee in the summer is a light morning breeze that dies out by 9-10 AM. It often does not pick up again until 1-2 PM, often stronger with a major shift. However, the wind patterns there are not at all dependable like a sea breeze.

On light days I can often see large areas of calm and large areas of light breeze on the water. I've motored from calm to the breeze and had very pleasant sailing while noticing boats that stayed in the calm are just sitting still.

Last week I had the goal of getting around an island in a part of the lake that I had not been in. There was a nice breeze (about 8 kn) and I made good time most of the way up the lake (about 5 miles). I rolled up the UPS as I needed to tack up wind a couple of miles to get around this island. As I got closer I noticed a patch of calm. I decided I would try to make it around but I got abreast of the island and it really was dead calm. I waited for 15 minutes to see if a breeze would fill in so I could get around. No luck. So, did I motor around the island? Of course not, I'll save that challenge for another time. I did motor back to where the breeze was and had a very pleasant sail home. As I sailed away I did notice that the calm was still around the island.

Especially in August, with the possibility of pop-up thunderstorms I really like the security of a dependable auxiliary. If I need to get off the lake in a hurry, and it's not a beam reach to home, I'll choose motoring at 5.5 kn in exactly the direction I want to go over sailing. In early August I was out 1-1.5 miles when I heard some rumbles. It was hazy so I couldn't really see what was coming clearly. I decided to motor home as I would've had to tack otherwise. About 10 minutes after I got to the dock and put the cover on we had a squall. Judging by the small branches that were torn off the trees I'd guess that we had gusts to 45 mph, something I was glad not to have been out in.

I think judging your local water is the only sensible way to decide about "standby" or auxiliary power. If you're racing, you are going to be in a controlled environment and most likely powerboats to provide aid if necessary, so no motors. If you're on a small lake or don't venture out too far and don't need to fight current or strong winds, electric seems like a nice alternative. However, if you're on big water and go long distances I think that internal combustion makes the most sense.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 am

Well put, I'd probably prefer an auxiliary myself, under those conditions. Dodging thunderstorms is not a common occurrence here, and there are many sailing areas where one can get off the water by beaching the boat nearly anywhere without the need to go home, or the need to traverse large expanse of water first. And there are other areas that are populated with the possibility of assistance. Like all politics, sailing conditions are definitely "local".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Having used a Torqeedo on Lake Tahoe several times, I agree with K.C. that internal combustion makes the most sense for big water or long distances. One battery in a Torqeedo 1003 will get you eight to ten miles at 2.5 to 3 mph, and a lot less than that if you need to use full throttle.

Spare batteries are compact and weigh only ten pounds, but they go for about $600 a pop.
Alan

Postby talbot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

I understand from colleagues in physics and chemistry that the battery issue is a huge barrier in energy generally, whether the metric is cost or energy. Even electric cars save consumer gasoline at the expense of energy used to extract rare earths and other battery chemicals, and to dispose of the batteries at the end of their lives. So far, I have not heard any complaints about sail pollution. So perhaps the first strategy for getting home in light wind should be a new sail. OK, they are made of petrochemicals, but I'm just trying to provide environmental cover for a new UPS.
talbot

Postby curifin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:58 pm

I use mine pretty heavy on Beaver lake. I am curious if the EU2000 plus charger will be a better setup than gas outboard. I can use the genset a lot of places besides the boat..... It's also supposedly a lot quieter than an outboard and if there is one huge advantage to the electric setup it's that quiet motoring on flat water.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby talbot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:22 am

Sounds like it's a distance/time issue. IF you can make it with whatever charger/battery combination you have, it's great. If not, you have a problem (or a wait, or vigorous rowing).

Pro electric factors:
Flat water
Summer or tropical sun
High output charger
Efficient battery
Maximum distance within maximum battery life

Pro internal combustion factors:
Currents or tides
Clouds and/or winter
Small trickle charger
Conventional gel or AGM battery
Long or indeterminate distance

Not being able to make a decision, I got two motors. All of this is preceded by a decision that life is too short to skip a day sailing because the wind is not quite right.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 am

The "time/distance" issue covers it nicely. Batteries are indeed a core limiting factor (as is the poor adaptation of trolling motor technology to what we would like to see from a motor). K.C. gave a good description of a sailing style that works best with a true auxiliary. I found, conversely, that I have gotten away with a true "standby" system, even if it means that I a bit more time waiting for wind and/or drifting a bit longer than I might otherwise choose to. (I have been known to motor over to where the wind is, especially when I know from local conditions that the spatial distribution of calm vs. winy patches will be persistent - at other times I know that wind will come and plenty of it, and then I may not be in a hurry).

I like your sailor's compromise of simply getting two systems :). From what you write, your sailing areas are really diverse and there's nothing wrong with having the right tool for the right conditions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby djd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 am

If anyone's interested in a nice trolling motor package. I have one for sale in the"For Sale" section.
I'll be heading to Long Island, New York this weekend and can arrange to meet.
Dennis
djd

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous