Who wears a Tilley?

Moderator: GreenLake

Who wears a Tilley?

Postby Donal » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:47 am

Hi everyone,
I was just reading Roger's story in the "Dumb Trick section" about his antics retrieving his Tilley hat:
"Out I went, with my tilley hat on, but not strapped on. The fickle wind near shore played havoc with my intended course and I found myself gybing a number of times to maintain my heading out away from shore. One of these times, the boom caught me from behind and knocked my hat in the water. I therefore started to negotiate tighter and tighter circles around my hat to recover it, each time, tacking or gybing as the need presented itself."

Not to provide free advertising, but I wondered who else out there uses or has used the Tilley hat, etc.

I wear my LT3 that I received just 2 days before my first sailing trip:
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

I love my Tilley hat too

Postby Sean McGuire » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:00 pm

I wear my Tilley hat all the time outdoors. Mowing the grass, going for a hike, and most of all sailing my DS! I think the brim is wide enough to provide good shade, but isn't a sombrero. The fabric is very durable - I have had mine for half a dozen years and it has held up very well after countless sweaty days and runs through the washer. Plus it is guaranteed forever. Can't ask for much more than that.

Sean McGuire

1984 DSII IONA
Sean McGuire

Tilley hats

Postby Imgaryo1 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Both my daughter and I wear Tilley hats. We have had thme now for maybe 8 or 9 years. When they get dirty, throw them in the washing machine and they come out just fine. I have never had mine blow off in any kind of wind. When it rains, the material actually gets stiffer instead of droopy like some other hats. Wouldn't recommend any other hat for sailing, waliking the dog in the rain, etc. Definetely worth the money.
Imgaryo1
President

raison d'etre

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Norm Tilley actually developed the hat for himself for sailing!!!
Roger

Who wears a Tilley

Postby townpiper » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 pm

I've worn a Tilley for about 6 years after getting skin ca ( and recvering fully). The original ended up falling apart in the washing machine , BUT Tilley has a lifetime guarantee and they were more than willing to honor it even after 6 years of abuse. I returned the original to them and THEY REPLACED IT with a new one ( just had to pay a $7.50 fee for shipping.)

These folks are great to deal with> I highly recommend their hats. Nobody looks goofy in a Tilley Hat
Paul
townpiper

tilley

Postby kokko » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:49 pm

After racing in the rain, I noticed my hat took two days to dry. I went out and bought a tilley and have been very happy
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Miscellaneous