Sailstar 17

Moderator: GreenLake

Sailstar 17

Postby glennk » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:32 am

I know that it is not a DS, but I've recently come into possesion of a Sailstar 17 and I wanted to ask you if anyone can point me toward an
owners groups or give me any advice on rigging,
repair, maint., etc.

The only info. I could find inte archives was yeras old.

Thanks.

-Glenn
glennk

Postby GBRO » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:29 pm

By coincidence my name is also Glenn and I have recently come into posession of a Sailstar 17. It is Hull # 648 and it is mostly disassembled.
I may have a few Q's myself before this is over.
Structurally the boat appears to be sound. Almost all the hardware has been removed and begun to be prepared for paint or finish. It was a project abandoned.
No sails came with it so that of coarse will be searched for at soon.
Do DS sails fit? The boats appear very similar. I have not seen one first hand yet. I laid the hardware out today and the basic rigging seems to be apparent. I will definitly be glad to view some examples.
Glenn, l live in the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia.
The more I look at the boat , I believe I will go ahead with the project. I have not sailed one of these, have you?
Is yours in good shape? Is it an Explorer?
Any info you have will be appreciated and I will share what I find with you. Sincerely , Glenn Bryant
GBRO

Postby GBRO » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:34 pm

By the way, no I have not seen any thing about an owners group. In fact I have not seen much info at all on theSailstar 17 so far. G. B.
GBRO

More Sailstar stuff

Postby glennk » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:44 am

GB,

My boat is in pretty good shape, if in need of a good patch and paint job.

I've been out on it twice, both times in light flukey air, in which it did not respond well. Granted Iwas not usingthe genoa, bt only the main & jib. iven it's broad flat stable body it is to be expected that the boat would be a weak performer in light air.

Email me offline and perhaps we can discussthis at greater length.

filmglenn@yahoo.com

Bet,
glenn
glennk

Return to Miscellaneous