trailers?

Moderator: GreenLake

trailers?

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 1999 12:00 am

Hey, folks --

So I'm looking at some serious trailer repairs -- I think my trailer is the original, which makes it 38 years old! -- and since welding is so expensive, I'm looking around for information on trailers for DaySailers. Does anyone know who built the original trailer for O'Day?

I'm interested in knowing what types of trailers y'all have -- manufacturers, rollers or bunks (the original trailer has a combination of both), aluminum or galvanized... What sort of experience have you had with your trailer, and would you recommend it? Are there manufacturers I should avoid?

As well, andy "ballpark" figures on the cost of a decent trailer would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Greg

Greg Farley (farley-at-bio.fsu.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 09, 1999 12:00 am

Mine has rollers down the middle and bunks on each side. It has rows of 2x6's on each side of the rollers plus inbetween from one roller to the next. This makes it easy to walk out and line your boat up when loading. Mine is made by Dilly and is fairly long. The boat hangs off the back maybe 12-18". I've seen some DS's put on ridiculously small trailers designed for 12-14' boats. Maybe fine for keeping your boat at the boat club, but I doubt they pull as nice as mine at 70 MPH.

As for price, I think a galvanized trailer for our boats will run around $900-1000 new. I priced them a year ago, but I'm not real sure. Also, talk to guys at your local sailing clubs. You can find used trailers sometimes. Mine cost me $250 and had been holding a DS2 when I bought it. The guy had just bought a davit and his wife wanted his trailer out of their back yard...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, Texas
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Miscellaneous