Tie downs

Moderator: GreenLake

Tie downs

Postby dsheer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:44 pm

My boat came with two long 1.5 inch straps with 2 inch rings, one at each end. I assume they are for tying the boat to the trailer, and that there is a way to cinch the boat down using the rings. Anybody know how to use the rings to make things tight? Somehow I missed this in my boy scout and sailing training.

Thanks

Dan
dsheer

Tie down straps

Postby Adrift » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 pm

hmmm. They *might* be tie down straps, but you would need another piece. Are the straps more than 8 feet long (possibly much more)? They may be lifting straps. PO may have used a hoist to launch rather than back trailer into water. Not uncommon at sailing clubs without a ramp. Similarly, marinas with travellift & such hoists for yachts may have straps way too stiff & abrasive for a little boat such as a DS.

Just guessing.
Adrift

Postby dsheer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:42 pm

Never thought of using them for lifting, and yes, they are way longer than 8'.

However, a friend of mine is a rider, and showed my how to use the two rings to provide tension and hold the boat to the trailer. 'Tis a neat trick, you make a loop using one ring, thread the loop through the other ring, then back through the first to tighten, then once more through the second to secure. Works well, no knots. Took a couple of times practice before I could do it first try though.

Maybe I'll save the straps for hoisting and get real tie-downs.

Thanks for the idea.

Dan
dsheer

mystery straps

Postby gerald » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 am

anyway they could be made to fit inside the boat for hiking straps?...
gerald

Return to Miscellaneous