Finally got on the water !!!!!!!

Moderator: GreenLake

Finally got on the water !!!!!!!

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:03 pm

Hi to all:

On the lighter side, it has been so darn hot around here, that sailing has been a non-event for me. Not counting the City's lake level was so terribly low, and the city closed the boat ramps for about two weeks. Finally, they were able to fill the lake with water from an upstream lake. (this lake, Lake Hefner in Oklahoma city is primarily for city water supply and recreation comes second or third on the list of priorities) Supposed to be 104 today. (Sun., Aug. 6) With the exception of the blistering heat, the winds have been great and I have not tried to sail. I needed a sailing fix in the worst way !!!! I thought of going out on Sat. afternoon about 5-6 PM, thinking the peak of the heat would be over and I could get at least a little sailing in the evening. But.....at 5 PM on Sat. the temp was 103, winds almost calm, and I said to hell with it. Then a little light popped on in my feeble little shrinking brain. The light told me "to get up early on Sun. morning (I usually get up around 6:30 anyway) forget reading the paper and having a cup of coffee and head out to the lake and try to beat Mother Nature at her own game." So, up at the usual time, out of the house at 7:30 AM. Temp. was 80. At the lake at 8 AM, on the water at 8:45 AM. The airport and NOAA were reporting 10-15 mph winds and this was really turning me on. (pretty girls in thong bikini's are not the only thing that turn me on) Temp 86, wind @ 13. One hour and 45 minutes of blissful sailing. Several sailboats on the water along with the usual fishing boats. Back to my dry stall at about 10:45, winds at 14, temp 95. Home by noon, after the obligatory stop at the 7-11 store for a diet Coke and candy bar. Temp. 98. Hooray !!!!!!!! I beat Mother Nature and did not have to be out in the 100 plus temps. I showed dear old Mother Nature, right? Lord knows that I needed that water fix. And "Dancing Girls II" was happy to be on the water too. I actually thought of taking our dog Fido with me but I did not. I want to start taking him out with me when the winds are between the 5-15 range so he can get used to being on the sailboat and get used to the heeling motion. He enjoys being with us on our leaky aluminum boat that we have at the lake house and I think he would get to liking the sailboat also. Maybe next time.

So much for my weekend adventure of finally getting my sailing fix. Looks as if we are in for many, many more of the 100+ temps for at least the next 7-10 days. Looks as if it is going to be a rough August for us.

Hope that everyone has been able to get their sailing fixes this weekend.

Fair winds to all !!!

Gary
1966, DS I
"Dancing Girls II", #3235
gary l. britton

yep, it's hot

Postby crawford » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:05 pm

I, too, have decided to hibernate last week. The temperatures were over 110º for seven days straight here in California's Central Valley. As soon as it hit less than 100º I got up early also. and had three hours of water time on old 312.
It was good because I had just built a new rudder/tiller/head that I wanted to test. the day provided wind from 3kn to 10kn. Perfect for preliminary testing. I'll wait until it cools to try heavier air trials.
crawford

Just too HOT !!!

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:01 pm

Crawford:

I've been hearing about the heat in California's central valley. You are worse off that we are. Plus the fact we have had very little rain and I am sure you all are in the same predicament. I got off trying to sail in the brutal heat if possible. About 2 yaers ago, before I placed my boat in dry dock at the lake, I would have to get the boat out of the back yard, which was a chore, then drive to the lake, raise the mast single handed (one piece mast and a lot of balancing to step it) then sail and afterward reverse the process. Well, one morning I was preparing to sail and was going to start packing about 9 AM, figuring to beat some of the heat. Humidity was very high that day. Found out I had a flat tire on the trailer, had to fix that. Upon trying to get the boat and trailer out of our back yard I realized the dog had dug a couple of holes by the tires and it took a real effort to get the boat and trailer out. After approximately 3 hours I was on the road. Now it was getting very warm and I did not know how warm at the time. By the time I had the boat rigged up I started feeling a little dizzy, almost to the point of fainting I think. So, I went into my truck and turned on the A/C and stayed ther for about 20 minutes. Figured I was good to go and started to launch. Started feeling dizzy again and then decided to heck with it, I did not want to get into so sort of overheating problem on the lake. ( I had plenty of water handy) So, I packed up and went home. Once home I just left the boat in the front and later in the week I moved it to its rightful place in the back yard. Later I found out the temperature at the time I was at the lake was 105, with a heat index of 110. From that time on I decided not to try to sail during the extreme heat of the day. So, you be careful in the extreme heat and do not get yourself into trouble. I do not know what you do for a living, but I am in a air conditioned office all day, so this old body is not used to working/playing in the real heat.

Good luck with the new rudder/tiller. Hope that it works out.

Fair winds.

Gary
1966, DS I
gary l. britton

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Hey guys,

Here in central FL, it ain't much better. We don't get anything much over 95 degrees, but the humidity is oppressive this time of year. Plus, and the main reason I haven't been out much lately, is it's always a gamble re: lightning. Going out very early in the morning is an option, but there's no wind. Any wind that does pick up in the middle of the day is usually very light and variable, and can turn very strong and variable in front of the thunderstorms. So ... a question: is there any data available as to how many sailboats get hit by lightning each year? Is it even worth worrying about? Might sound like a stupid question, but I'm really wondering whether or not my fears of becoming a human lightning rod are well founded or not ...

<sigh> How I yearn for those awesome sailing daze in Fall, Winter, and Spring!
TIM WEBB

Lightning - Yikes

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Tim:

I'll bet that the humidity is a bear in Florida. Plus, and I know this first hand with the Thunderstorms here in Oklahoma, the wind can pick up to the howling stage like......NOW !!! And with nowhere to turn, and hopefully one can run and hide if one of the storms develops super fast.

As far and being a lightning rod, I know there is a way to ground ones boat, but I do not know how that is done. Still, if there is lightning I would prefer to be somewhere other that in the middle of a lake with a 25' aluminum pole sticking up in the air tempting the lightning gods. Surely there is someone that can help you with your lightning question.

Take care and fair winds.

Gary
1966, DS I
gary l. britton

Return to Miscellaneous