Rank Beginner!

Moderator: GreenLake

Rank Beginner!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 09, 1999 12:00 am

I live on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and love water, but have never sailed. I am seriously considering learning to sail in the spring of 2000 and wonder if there are any day sailers suitable for a beginner (also that can be handled well by one person). The best boats I have found listed for a beginner are the Vanguard sunfish and the Vanguard 15, but they are a little smaller than what I was looking for. Can anyone give the advantage of their expertise?

Nora (nmayers-at-akingump.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 09, 1999 12:00 am

Nora,
You have picked the right sport! And Chesapeake Bay has much to offer. While I would not talk you out of purchasing a DaySailer class sailboat, (it's a great choice for many of us), I suggest you put-off purchasing. Try the sport with various classes of small boats. How? A quick web search shows a half dozen sailing associations on your bay and many more fleets. Many non-profit associations have low cost sailing programs. A hands-on beginner class will quickly move you up the curve. Class associations also encourage new sailors, ask to crew for 'fun sails' and races. Find a local Day Sailer fleet on www.daysailer.org. With experience you will be able to pick out the 'best' boat for yourself. One more idea - don't wait till spring, there are 'frost-biter' programs :^)

Fair Winds,
John C

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Return to Miscellaneous