Rank Beginner!

Moderator: GreenLake

Rank Beginner!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 09, 1999 12:00 am

I live on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and love water, but have never sailed. I am seriously considering learning to sail in the spring of 2000 and wonder if there are any day sailers suitable for a beginner (also that can be handled well by one person). The best boats I have found listed for a beginner are the Vanguard sunfish and the Vanguard 15, but they are a little smaller than what I was looking for. Can anyone give the advantage of their expertise?

Nora (nmayers-at-akingump.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 1999 1:00 am

Obviously people on this site believe the DS16-class boat to be a superior small sailboat. I've race-crewed on one for 3 yrs & recently purchased a "project" DS16, so I agree with those brilliant sailors. The DS16 can be raced, soloed, or camped from. She will carry 4 with ease, but likes a crew of 2-3. Hey, I'm still being sold on this one!
But--- buy whatever is popular in your local area. We'd like to think that includes DS16. There is a good chance your first boat probably will be a "trainer" & not your last, so your ability to reclaim most of your investment will be greater with a locally popular boat. My first was not common here, so I took a beating when I sold it. So goes life.
Good luck & let us know what you do with your DS!
LL in the Heights, TX
DS11537

Lynn Larremore (lynn.larremore-at-ss.ps.ge.com)

Return to Miscellaneous