PHRF for DS

Moderator: GreenLake

PHRF for DS

Postby jpclowes » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:29 am

This weekend I was sailing in a PHRF handicap regatta (boats handicaped, not sailors...well any more than the rest of us, ) Anyway, we took third in our class. We beat a Capri 18 and an S2 7.3. We were beaten by a Hunter 22 and and Schock/Santana 525. They never posted the handicap ratings for the boats. Going on-line we were able to find PHRF ratings for all the boats but our own. We asked around the club we sailed at, and never did get an answer what our rating was. So I thought I'd ask here. I think the Portsmouth handicap system rating for our boat is 98.5, but I don't think I've ever seen a true PHRF number for our boat. I also know PHRF can vary a little from lake to lake. So I guess the quesiton I'm putting out there is what ratings does anyone who races DS's in PHRF have?
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby KaiB » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:26 pm

J.P.,

I understand that PHRF boats must be monohulls with keels (or self-righting monohulls).

Around here, DS-1 race "Centerboard" class. (At least 'till we can get a OD group going).

Where am I wrong?

Kai

edit to add...no way a DS would rate in the 90's. J-24's range around 170 I think, and my dream boat, the Bennytoy First 36.7 is in the mid-90's.
KaiB

Postby calden » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm

I just raced a few days ago. It was just for fun so I didn't take it seriously, learning the ins and outs of racing, but I did check the final results. They gave me a "handicap" of 333 and a "factor" of 0.76.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby shawn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:03 pm

JP,

In my quest to start a fleet I came across a club that races one designs using the Portsmouth ratings. You are correct that the DS rates in the upper 90's (depending on windstrength). You can see the listings here at http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/pyindex.htm. It's interesting to compare the DS to other boats to get a sense of it's speed. I'm hoping I don't have to get involved in this though and can race as a separate class.

Shawn
shawn

Postby KaiB » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:26 am

Oops,

I didn't read J.P.s post carefully enough.

I also understand that the DS rates around 90 Portsmouth; thought JP was talking about PHRF (which relates only to keelboats anyway)

Kai
KaiB

Return to Miscellaneous