Spring is a-comin' in

Moderator: GreenLake

Spring is a-comin' in

Postby calden » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey all:

I just looked at the calendar and realized...
[thumb=398]
Only THREE more months until Memorial Day!

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

one more step closer to sailing

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Hey Carlos,

Knock the snow off your tarp and you will be one step closer to sailing this spring! :D

I have checked my boat on and off through the winter and each time I visit, I knock the snow off and think of how much closer I am to the day that I can start puttering on the boat again. We were to head into the city this past weekend, and I was planning to visit the chandelry to pick up some boat parts for this spring, but a winter storm got in the way, so reality bites! :cry: But, it is getting closer. For me hopefully another 4 weeks until I can start puttering and about 7 weeks before the ice is off and I can launch.
Roger

Postby jpclowes » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:23 pm

I just realized that docks go in at the club in 31 days, here. (We start early, what can I say.) Sunday racing starts April 1 at Leatherlips Y.C. Kind of appropriate considering we're in Ohio, and it sometimes snows here until about then.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Spring

Postby gary l. britton » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Here in Central Oklahoma we are having up and down weather. Last week in the 50's for highs and strong winds. This week we approached the 80 degree mark on Wednesday, and now back into the 50's, and of course the winds have been strong. Not long ago we were in the 30's, so the water temps have not warmed up much at all. BUT......hopefully by the end of the month I'll be able to launch "Dancing Girls II" and take a shake down cruise. "Dancing Girls II" and I have been itching to be on the water. I have not been able to do any of my cosmetic work that I had planned for the winter, and darn if I am going to miss any actual sailing days just to make her look a little better. ( she's only 41 years young and a little faded ) The one BIG question we have around here. Will there be enough water in the lake to allow the rangers to keep the boat ramps open? Only time will tell.

Hopefully spring will be just around the corner for you also.

Take care and fair winds.

Gary
1966, DSI
"Dancing Girls II" #3235
gary l. britton

Postby calden » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 pm

You're killing me! I'm almost there! We got up to almost 60¡ã yesterday.

I think this weekend is too soon, but maybe not. I can't wait to get my new jib - should be arriving in a few days.

Carlos
Last edited by calden on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS I #1653
calden

Postby shawn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 am

John,

I also have a Harken swivel base that I have yet to mount. The existing holes don't line up with the Harken base. I've tried to drill through the metal in the trunk but it must be stainless so I aborted the mission. What did you do to make it work? All the other hardware on my boat is Harken, this is the last holdout so I'm determined to get in on there!!

Thanks,
Shawn
shawn

Postby shawn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:58 pm

My boat is a 1980 DSII. I drilled but once I hit the metal, the bit just spun without biting. New bits and and starting with a smaller one should work but I'm not sure about tapping stainless. I will have to look into that more and see if I have the right taps. Thanks for the information

Shawn
shawn

drilling into stainless

Postby Roger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

I too am up against a similar (although not identical project) I am drilling holes in a mast tabernacle to attach shackles for turning blocks for lines led aft. I have been advised that using a smaller titanium bit and lubing it with milk rather than cutting oil is preferable when drilling into 316 stainless. If your bit still is not biting at slow speed, then the plate is possible 304 stainless, which I believe is even harder. In this case I was advised to use a small cobalt bit for a pilot hole. Again use milk as a lubricant.

You might find this link useful:

http://www.c34ia.org/faq-pages/faq-stainless-alum.html
Roger

Postby shawn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:13 pm

As is many times the case what starts out as a simple project turns into something more. Since I have about 1/2 inch of fiberglass before the plate maybe I'll just epoxy some stainless nuts flush with the top of the centerboard case and screw right into that (I could even put some 3M marine adhesive on the base before mounting). Now I can only imagine trying to get it off in the years to come...well I'll post a new message for that! Thanks for the replies

Shawn
shawn

Postby calden » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:17 am

Hey all:

She's out from under the tarp and in the garage, ready for a day or so of minor maintenance and upgrading.
[thumb=408]
Only TWO months till Memorial Day!

I can't wait to get sailing with the new jib.

However, on another note, I'm going to be following in the footsteps of Peter McMinn. I'm looking at a Catalina 22 this weekend. I've felt the need for a slightly larger boat for a number of reasons. I won't be selling the DS anytime real soon, though. I need to get some hot-rod rides in first.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Carlos

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 pm

You mentioned that you wanted another ride in your hot rod before moving up to something bigger. I moved up to a Sundance 20 in August of last year for the same reason, something bigger, and was able to take only one sea trial in the new (to me) boat before bundling her up for the winter. The lwl was the same, but with more sail area and more ballast, so even though maneauverability remained the same as the DS II, it was a real rocket sled, but with stability. It has an inboard rudder, so the turning radius was even sharper than the DS II. It tacked so fast that the clutter in the cabin moved from starboard to port and back again with each successive tack. What a ride! I was hitting speeds of 6.1

Perhaps you will get that kind of permormance on your upgrade as well.
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous