Lifting a DS from a hoist

Moderator: GreenLake

Lifting a DS from a hoist

Postby pnichols » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Has anyone used a hoist to lift/launch a DS? I have a DSI and my YC uses a hoist to launch boats.

Do you use staps and if so, what positions? Or if fixed pick-up points are used then where are they attached and what type of re-inforcement is needed, if any?
Paul Nichols
DSI 2383
pnichols

weight of ds

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:21 pm

The weight of a DS is only 575 pounds. I found that if it was not centered on the trailer, I could crawl under the back portion of the boat and 'humphf' it over with my shoulders. Six people can pick it up easily, one person can careen it by pulling on the main halyard. Therefore a couple of straps placed near the quarter cleats aft and just ahead of the chain plates forward, (both passing under the hull) will suspend it without any problem. It is a strudy boat, it will not fold up on you!
Roger

Postby jpclowes » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:27 am

We use a hoist at our club too. There are two schools of thought on it. One (the way I used to do it) put Eye bolts in the deck about where the chainplaits are, with a strong backing plate. (I used a 2X6 about 6 inches long) for the forward points, and use the aft cleats for the back points.

The other way, the way I use now, is I have shackles through the chainplates. The pins in the shackle serve a dual purpose of holding my shrouds to the chainplaits, and lifting the boat. For the back points, a previous owner installed two rings through the transom, just below the quarters. (The rings are held in a strap that is screwed and backed through the transom) I think this is the better system because the hull itself is supporting the boat, instead of the deck.

In either case, I made a bridle out of 3/8 low stretch braided Nylon line, cut in two pieces (one for the stern half and one for the bow half, each end attaching to a lift point,) and knotted together in a kind of overhand knot with loops at the top for the hook from the hoist. The exact balance point of where to tie the knot and loops took a lot of trial and error, as did finding the port/starboard balance point, when attaching the carabeaners. Lift, see where the balance is, set down and adjust. The bridle attaches with 4 carabeaner (sp?) type shackles. This brldle is easy to attach and detatch, and once the balance point is discovered, easy to lift with. If there is a lot of water in the boat after a hard day of racing, you may need to keep some pressure on the bow with a bow line, while lifting.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Return to Miscellaneous