Hand held knot meter

Moderator: GreenLake

Hand held knot meter

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 28, 1999 1:00 am

Does anyone know where to buy a hand held knot meter? I have read discussions about them on other internet sites but have not been able to find them in any marine catalogues. I have checked JSI, West Marine, Layline, and another that I can't remember.

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 02, 2000 1:00 am

Try Murrays @ www.murrays.com, they mostly cater to catamarans and windsurfers but are an excellent source of sailing gear. There staff is also well informed and can help with your technical questions. They list several windmeters from about $50-125. The ones I have seen seem to be accurate,very durable and give digital readings of current, average and max wind speed. You can chose between knots,mph,kph,beaufort and a couple other readings.

PW in NM (nacracat-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:00 am

West Marine (as well as other retailers) sells a portable battery-powered knotmeter. You can have either a "permanent" mount if you trailer your boat or a temporary mount if your boat stays in the water. The permanent-mount glues to the bottom of the boat, the temp-mount hooks to a cleat (I think?). The main part of the instrument is a small calculater-sized unit that you mount (with velcro) in the cockpit, it picks up a signal from the impellor on the outside device and reads the speed from that. I think the usual cost is aroung $179.00 and it is made by SPEEDTECH INSTRUMENTS.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 13, 2000 12:00 am

Rod,

How sensitive is the instrument, i.e., is the readout in 1/10, 1/2, or 1 knot increments. If it can detect 1/10 knot changes in speed, then the effects of subtle sail trim changes could be observed and this might be a very useful training tool for aspiring racers (like myself)...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:00 am

Display shows speeds in 0.05 increments up to 10 knots and 0.1 over 10 knots (99 knots maximum). I quoted this direct from the WEST MARINE catalog, and it sounds like it has the capability to detect those small speed changes from minute changes in sail trim.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous