To The Dark Side...

Moderator: GreenLake

To The Dark Side...

Postby calden » Fri May 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Hey all:

I was over in the Puget Sound area looking at prospective colleges with my daughter, and was INNOCENTLY perusing Craigslist, and just happened to stumble upon a San Juan 21 for sale. Well. I had to go check it out, seeing as how I've been thinking about a slightly larger boat for outings with friends.

I swear I went into an almost hypnotically induced sleep, and when I awoke I found that I was driving back across the state with a BOAT on a TRAILER behind me! My daughter said "oh yeah, Dad, you bought that boat you looked at!"

[thumb=430]

I've been doing fix-ups for the last couple of weeks and any day will be taking her out. But this does not mean I'm neglecting my first love Daysailer. I still need to get her out on a good windy wet day.

Carlos

and...less than a month until Memorial Day!
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Phill » Sat May 05, 2007 2:58 pm

Carlos,

Looks like the dark side may not be too bad. I know many SJ 21 owners and racers. We have a fleet on our lake, and there is a great fleet at Coos Bay Yacht Club, that sails on South Tenmile Lake on the Oregon coast between Reedsport and Coos Bay. Wonderful folks. they put on a great yearly regatta, Labor Day Weekend.

What you show in your picture is a SJ21 mark I. The most desirable version of this class for racing. The mark II has a flush deck from the cocpit to the bow. Yours has the step down on the foredeck. I cant remember for sure what the advantage of the mark I is, but in my memory, its the stiffer deck configuration and usually lighter hull.

Congratulations on your new boat. Since we cant seem to get you interested in racing with us in your DS, I think you will find the SJ21 a very nice and somewhat less prone to capsize boat for you and your family. A small motor (British Seagulls are popular if you can find one) will be easier to use for those days when the wind shuts down and the Mighty Columbia tries to bring you to Portland :lol: Watch out for the occasional dam along the way. :?

Love the color. If it is the original gel coat, and you want to bring the color back to near original, let me know.

phill
Phill

Postby calden » Sat May 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Phill:

I'm still negotiating with my family so I can try and come down on Memorial Day! The Daysailer ain't sold yet.

Which reminds me - I wanted to ask you if I'm still welcome to come down if my boat for some reason itsn't class-legal for racing. I mean, is there plenty of room and time for just sailing around in circles with other people. I know there's time for beer and food and camping, but I'd want to get my boat in the water.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Phill » Sat May 05, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi Carlos,

Of course you are welcome. For local racing and newbies, no one gets too excited about nit picking the rules. We would much rather have you come and particapate.

First regatta I attended my plan was to just sail around. Friday nite around a campfire, beer was involved, I was convinced to cross the start line and actually race. Less than 2 months sailing experinence. Never a sailing session without a capsize, totally overwelmed by the boats. Had a great time and learned lots. Figured out that just following the leaders taught me much. When you get here, ask me how I won a race in that same regatta. :D

ps. looks like my wife and I will be 'sailing' through Spokane on July 4th on our way to Nats in Wisconsin.

phill
Phill

Postby calden » Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 am

Phill:

I'm 90% sure we will be in town for the 4th. I'll know more as the month goes on. If we're here, please feel free to stay with us. If you've got time maybe we can get in a sail on beautiful Lake Coeur d'Alene.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Phill » Wed May 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Carlos,

Thanks for the invitation. We are going to try to get to Butte, MT for the night. So hopefully, Spokane willl just be a blurr sometime mid day.
Do you know what a resonable driving time to Butte from Spokane might be ??

Enjoy that SJ 21, but dont let your DS get jealous :wink:

phill
Phill

Postby calden » Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Spokane to Missoula is an easy 3 hours. Don't know about the rest of the way to Butte.

By the way, did the first sail of the season today. Did not have a full day with which to dunk the SJ21, which I feel I need to work out any kinks in rigging and trailer-offing, etc., so went out on the DS for three hours. God, I love that boat:

[thumb=268] [thumb=327]

It really is a boat that you turn around to look at and admire as you walk away from the dock to get your car.

It sailed just wonderfully, too, with the new Neil Pryde jib I got from Rudy. My thought is to get a slip for the SJ21 and haul the DS around the state.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Miscellaneous