DS Font

Moderator: GreenLake

DS Font

Postby MarcCram » Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Does anyone have or know what font the DS logo on the sail is? When I say have I mean is it freeware or $$$$ware? My wife is in textiles and we were looking into making a burgee to fly when we arn't sailing the Day Sailer (which, as most of you know, we haven't even sailed once yet).

Also is there a PMS color that the DS logo is or just a common shade of blue?

Thank you.

Marc
196X DS1 '2902'
MarcCram

In the handbook

Postby MarcCram » Tue May 22, 2007 12:49 pm

So I did a google search and please don't tell me its in the handbook. I'm checking now...

So the Constitution states in section 2.1 EMBLEM:
"The emblem of the Day Sailer and the Association shall consist
of the capital letters DS set with vertical offset and touching, in
font and configuration as shown in the Class Handbook. When
used on sails, the emblem color shall contrast sharply with the
sail color."

But all I can find is this in section 8.11:
"The registered sail number and DS emblem must be displayed on both sides of the mainsail. The size and location shall conform to the IYRR 94/96 Rule Appendix B-3, Par. 1.2 and 1.3, except that number dimensions shall be 12 inches high x 8 inches wide x 2 inches thick."

Nothing on the exact font to be used.

So back to my original question in the previous post.

Thanks for reading all this!

Marc

Oh and I did try the search function :lol:
MarcCram

Postby calden » Tue May 22, 2007 3:27 pm

Marc:

I don't think it's a specific font but rather just a graphic representation of the letters. You know, from what I've seen, most sail logos are pretty basic looking and not that interesting. I think you could find a nice picture of a DS logo somewhere, like a good flat-on photo of a sail, enlarge it, and make a tracing and be good to go.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby MarcCram » Tue May 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Carlos,
Yeah that was my next idea. I was going to take a picture of the logo on my sail and plug it into Adobe Illustrator and do a vector tracing of it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Marc
MarcCram

Back to the Constitution and Handbook

Postby MarcCram » Tue May 22, 2007 8:28 pm

One last point...
Is it possible to get a "standard" font/logo? Or should the constitution be updated to reflect that the handbook does not specify the font to be used?

I was looking at the ID plate on the bow flotation tank (not mine, I don't have one :cry: , but one from a picture) and it appears to be the same font. Now I have to figure out which one it is.

I'm not complaining or demanding any change here, just posing a general question/idea. I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers.

Marc
-Still loving my DS1 and the wealth of information and idea sharing that goes on on this site!
MarcCram

Return to Miscellaneous