How big an outboard

Moderator: GreenLake

How big an outboard

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2000 1:00 am

I own a DSII which I use in any water deeper than 8" and on occasion to going fishing without sails. One of my favorite waters is the Pacific Ocean. I currently power it with an ancient 2 hp kicker. I plan to replace it with something larger. And before the radical fringe elements kick in, yes, I am a competent sailer and promise to only use the motor when my family is in peril or I'm trolling for fish. Is a 5 hp 2 cycle long shaft too much power? The other option is a 4 hp 2 or 4 cycle long shaft. Please only those of you who have actually used a noisy, smelly, outboard need reply. I'm not interested in using battery powered motors or being lectured about why it's disgraceful to use any form of power other than wind! Thanks in advance!

Joe Fram (jofram-at-zeus.kern.org)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 09, 2000 1:00 am

I bought a used Spindrift DSI last year and it came with a nearly new 6HP Yamaha long shaft. The motor is a bit more than needed, but it is nice if a storm is brewing and you need to get under cover quickly. this motor is very quiet and clean running as well. Hope this helps.

Tim Otis (tim-at-otis.mv.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2000 1:00 am

There have been several threads on this subject, so look around the site for more... My '86 Johnson long-shaft 4 HP (twin cylinder/2-stroke) has plenty of power for my my DS1. I'd save the money and go w/ the cheaper and lighter 4 HP model if I were you.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2000 1:00 am

I put a new 4 HP mercury on my '74 Daysailer II. I believe it's the best compromise for weight/power considerations. It mounts nicely on the transom and has an integral fuel tank. I don't believe you need a long shaft - I'm using a conventional shaft and experience no cavitation. I would stay away from 4-cycles - they're a lot heavier.

FSkewes (fskewes-at-ebmail.gdeb.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:00 am

I presently have a 1992 2.3 hp Johnson for auxiliary power on my 1979 DS II. If I were to replace this motor, I would most likely want a 3hp or 4hp Johnson (2-stroke). I am also finding that 99% of the time, a short-shaft is fine, even with the motor mounted directly to the transom. One advantage to the 4hp Johnson, is that it comes with an internal fuel tank (1.6 qt) but also has a connector to use a remote tank, this is a great feature since the remote tank can be used on long trips under power or for a day of fishing, yet for normal auxiliary power needs....the internal tank is plenty and you don't need the 3 gallon remote. (definitely still bring extra gas to refill the internal tank!) The Mercury 5hp, and Johnson 5hp (2-stroke) also have this "dual-tank" feature!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:00 am

I use a Honda 2HP 4-stroke on my DSII mounted on a homemade bracket which puts it about 6" aft of and 2" below the transom. this puts the prop a little lower into the water (tho I never had it cavitate on the transom) but more importantly put the tiller and motor head out of the way of the mainsheet when it is tilted up and I'm sailing. This little motor can scoot right along but I suppose when going up river against the tide and into a stiff breeze a larger motor would be welcome. I haven't yet timed things poorly enough to know. In regards to the extra weight of the 4-stroke engine I suspect that an ironic number of us are carrying more extra weight aroung our middles than the extra weight of these small motors. Probably hasn't kept us ashore worrying about the performance penalty. 4-strokes are almost scentless and go almost forever on that little liter of fuel they hold

David Patterson (frelsi-at-ime.net)

Postby Guest » Mon May 29, 2000 12:00 am

I purchased a 5 HP Johnson with a reverse gear. It has plenty of power and converts my 'tub'of a DSII in to a decent fishing boat. It's definitely over powered if all you need is a way to move in or out of a Marina. I only plan to use it when I am in salt water pushing the limits of sanity or with no mast and four fishing rods! Thanks to all for their input into the raging debate about motors on DS's. The DS design is so robust that it will accommodate just about any nautical adventure! By sail or motor it's one heck of a family boat.

Joe Fram (jofram-at-zeus.kern.org)

Postby Guest » Mon May 29, 2000 12:00 am

This is not about your outboard although I use a small trolling motor that is air cooled. I am just interested in getting back to the lakeshore.

I have lost the web address for O'Day Daysailer organization and would appreciate getting it. I have not found the key phrase for the search enginges.

Sam Boman (frsamboman-at-ne.freei.net)

Postby Guest » Wed May 31, 2000 12:00 am

I own a DSI and sail it in the waters of Buzzards Bay. After a debate on what motor to get, I settled on a Merc 3.3 with a forward/neutral gear selector. The 3.3 is plenty of power to troll with, and it gets my skiddish wife and me back to shore when the wind gets too brisk. My main concern on the engine was a.) at least a neutral selection (the engines with only a forward gear are a pain). And b.) weight. The 3.3 is less than 30 pounds. This is important if you plan on mounting and dismounting the engine off often.

Peter cavicchi (petercav-at-email.msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2000 12:00 am

As far as weight goes, the 2hp Honda 4-stroke weighs the same as a 2hp Johnson 2-stroke, or a 2.5hp Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury, as well as the 3.3hp Johnson, 3.3 Merc, 3.5 Nissan, or Tohatsu. The Yamaha 2, the Mariner 2 (if still made?), and the old J/E 2hp(up to 1990) weigh about 22-24#.
I too often wish that I had at least a neutral shift, for reverse I don't mind having to turn the motor around.
Peter, where on Buzzards Bay do you sail? I keep my DS II in Wareham and really enjoy the sailing there!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2000 12:00 am

Joe: I have a DS1 with a 3.5 hp. Nissan/ Tohatsu outboard that seems to do the trick. I just wish the cap didn't leak when the internal tank is full. What part of the Pacific? I'm currently in "No other Day Sailers Land" aka San Diego.

barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:16 pm

Joe,I have a DSII powered by a 1988 Johnson 4hp deluxe long shaft 2-stroke engine.I am very happy with the way the engine preforms.It has foward,neutral and reverse gearshift,and it moves the boat about 4 to 5 knots under different conditions.I have it moonted right on the transom,a feature I really like about the DSII.I have a plastic external fuel tank {had a metal tank,but it developed rust inside}which gives plenty of range.It really comes in handy when I pull the boat down to the Florida keys,going in and out of canals and mangroves to the gulf.The best thing about the engine is that in the 13 plus years I've had it,it has started EVERY TIME and has NEVER failed.A good thing to know when crusing.Hope this info is a help,smooth sailing!

capt. Bob (captsaf-at-a.o.l.com)

Return to Miscellaneous