Bunch of newbie questions on DS II purchase.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bunch of newbie questions on DS II purchase.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 30, 1997 1:00 am

I've been sailing Lasers and windsurfers for a number of years but am new to the DS world. I'm currently looking at at '78 DS II
(# 8819) and have a few questions, any help is appreciated:
1. I've heard that some "older" DSs may need the hull reinforced. The boat's external fiberglass is in excellent shape, is this reinforcement need due to just age or will there be external signs/indications (i.e. how do I tell if it is needed).
2. The only real defect in this boat is, on the bow, the metal trailering "loop" had loosened up so the owner cut a small square in the front of the cuddy to access the bolts holding the loop in place (just thru the fiber at top front of cuddy). Question is does this affect the structural integrity of the boat, is it a major concern? I can patch it easy enough but am worried that the hull has been weakened.
3. DS IIs appear to have problem prone centerboards. Without putting it in the water, are there certain things to look for which are indicative of problems (other than the obvious hull/hardware inspection).
4. Boat price is $2000 w/ old trailer. From reading this appears to be a good price if above questions prove to be n/a. Good price?
5. Because I have kids, I'll be getting a small OB for it. I've been following the OB discussion at this site and found it very useful. Question - I want a very reliable long shaft motor, what is the best hp, make, year? Used motors to be avoided.
6. I live in Southeastern Mass. and am interested in doing some near-shore bay sailing in the Onset, Wareham, Monument Beach area of the Cape. Are there some good areas w/ public ramps that are suited to DS sailing? How is access to these in the summer months. Any good lakes in this area w/ public ramps would also be useful.

Thanks for any help on this bunch of questions, its gonna be hard buying a boat in New England in January, maybe I'll get the wife a dry suit for Christmas!
Chris Marcus.

Chris Marcus (cmar-at-cmar.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 1997 1:00 am

Chris,

I know the area around Brewster, Orleans Wellfleet on the Cape. The towns along the Bay have public ramps. The problem is finding parking. All of the towns sell parking stickers by the day or for longer periods. The problem is that there really isn't trailer parking. There is a good sized pond, Clif Pond, in Nickerson State Park in Brester. Parking is free and there is room for trailers, although you make haev to take them back to the main parking lot. Long Pond in Harwich also has trailer parking but requires a Brewster sticker. I sail in Wellfleet Harbor. There is a ramp there which is beleive has a nominal launch fee. (I don't use it.) Parking is free and there is trailer space.

Town Cove in Orleans has a ramp and there is some trailer parking, It needs a sticker. The cove is somewhat cramped, but the Orleans Yacht Club is there. They have a DS fleet and race on Sunday's. There is also a great kids sailing program and private lessons for those who want them. I took lessons there a few years ago.

Sailing in the Sound is quite fine, but I don't know the ramp situation on that side of the Cape.

I don't know when I'll be getting up there, August for sure, and If I can check out any particular place for you, let me know.

Steve

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 12, 2000 12:00 am

Chris, are you still looking for launching ramps in the Wareham area? I keep my 1979 DS II on a mooring in Wareham, and have found the Tempest Knob Boat ramp to be pretty good. It is a State ramp, but Wareham charges $5 per day for parking. If you plan to use the ramp often, the town does issue "season passes" usable at all the ramps (ok, there are only 2) in town and the price is (I think?) about $25 for town residents, I forgot the non-resident price.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:00 am

I don't think you need a long shaft outboard - I use a 4 HP mercury regular shaft with no problems. The long shafts are heavier and more expensive also

FSkewes (fskewes-at-ebmail.gdeb.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:00 am

I also use a short (or standard, 15") shaft outboard. I do occaisionally have problems with ventilation, that is sucking air into the propeller, but find that if I sit on the same side of the boat as the engine, it is cured.
I have a 2.3hp Johnson, if I replace it I figure on buying a 3 or 4 hp Johnson or Evinrude (used?), or maybe a 3.3hp Merc. I want to have a neutral gear on my next motor.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:00 am

I've got a long-shaft 4HP Johnson. Works great. Never cavitates no matter how choppy it gets.

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Miscellaneous