Tempo spreader boots

Moderator: GreenLake

Tempo spreader boots

Postby BOATMAN » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Here I am in the middle of an overhaul, and find there are no more Tempo spreader boots. Whats a guy to do? It will be a cold day before I use the only ones available now at $75.00. What is everyone else doing? I have thought of a tennis ball with a 1/2 inch hole cut in it for the spreader then sawing a slice into it for the stay to slip into. What ya think about that, and what are you all doing? I don't understand, I thought if you had the market cornered you would stay around. We are going to miss you Temo.
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell all my toys for what I told her I paid for them.
BOATMAN

Postby calden » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:46 am

I agree about the price of these things - it seems way too much.

You could probably go to your nearest leather hobby place (Tandy, etc.) and pick up some remnants of chap leather or something similar for $5-$10 and make your own boots. It would be dead easy to make a pattern out of cloth then transfer it to leather and sew it up with some waxed twine.

Or try a consignment shop like Second Wave in Seattle:

http://www.secondwave.cc/

Last time I was there they had a ton of used junk - boxes and bins and trays - and it's possible there are some old spreader boots there. Call them - their store has much more stuff than the website would suggest.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Sean McGuire » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:15 am

I made my boat a pair of "boots" using a small section of old garden hose, a utility knife and some sail tape. I just cut maybe 3-4 inch sections, slit it down one side, made a larger opening for the end of the spreader, slid it over the spreader and stay and prettied it up with a bit of sail tape wrapped around to hold it together and on the end of the spreader. The stay slides through the center of the hose easily. Easy solution for a few bucks in sail tape.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Postby thomas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:50 pm

try here. http://www.c-mesales.com/index.html?lan ... p1925.html

best price I've found but I can't vouch for quality as I haven't ordered any. yet. if you get some let me know how they are.

thomas
thomas

cheap spreader boots

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:16 pm

I used a piece of closed cell foam pipe insulation, they are about $2 for a 3' section at your nearest plumbing supply store. I cut them to 4" sections, and applied them to the shroud, and used a pair of zip ties to secure them above and below the shroud.

Yes, they look ugly, but they do the job!
Roger

Postby jpclowes » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:13 am

I just wrapped the end of the spreaders in a bunch of rigging tape. I never take the spreaders off the shrouds, why do something more "temporary."
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Tempo Spreader Boots

Postby PatSmith72 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 am

They're now being made by this company:
http://www.customrubbercorp.com/spreader.htm

Turns out this was the company making the parts for Tempo, and when Tempo closed they bought the tooling and still makes some old Tempo parts. Not the gas tanks, unfortunately. But they do have the snubbers, drain plug kits, and flapper valves.
PatSmith72

Return to Miscellaneous